Neurology Community
Memory test

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Memory test

I want to know how can doctor come to know about memory loss problem. Is it from cognitive/psychological test? If so, can you tell me what type of tasks doctor asked to patient to perform and how can they assess memory loss? In addition, can you explain the theory behind these tests?
My doctor was able to determine this by a sending me for a neuro-psych evaluation ...it tested my memory, motor skills, logic & reasoning, and more by repeating things immediately, 15 minutes later, half hour later, little puzzles and test to test your ability to sort things and solve problems. That test takes a few hours.  My memory and cognition proved to be so affected by a head trauma that it took two days for me to complete this test because I broke down in tears from my frustration when I realized I was having difficulty in remembering a short list of words and tasks that should have been easy for me (cognitive function) but prove my inability to complete.

I also had a B.E.A.M test/ otherwise know as brain mapping. Your eyes are covered for this to minimize distraction. Lights and sounds are used as the EEG measures brain function.  I had this done in 1998 and again last month. The difference in time was due to a new head trauma. The last test not only showed impairment but it was compared to the test done in 1998, also proving the impairment has gotten worse with the more recent concussion.
Do doctors follow questionnaire for neuro-psych evaluation? Or do they follow some computer software for same? Can you tell me what type of tasks they asked to perform to test memory?
Do you have short term memory problem? I world like to know more about ur problem. As you tested your memory after 9 years, isn't ur problem get cured?