Neurology Expert Forum
Meningioma and SV40

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Meningioma and SV40

My husband grew up in WVA. He is 55. In 1991 he was dx with a meningioma in frontal lobe and had it removed. Just this May,he had another one removed close to the optic nerve on the Rt side. Apparently there is another small one in a frontal section that his Nero didn't mention it until after the recuperation and he said he cannot not remove it. After doing research, I have come across alot of information on the SV40 virus, from the polio vaccine and relationships with these type of tumors. I know that some of the infected vaccine was found in WVA and the time frame seems to be right. So can this be a cause of all these tumors showing up? We do live in ND, so pretty far from a major medical facility, although our family doc has said he will send him to the Mayo Clinic when the time is right.He will not go to see the same Neuro doc anymore since he did not disclose the other tumor to him right off the bat. Thanks so much for any information you can give to me.
There is no scientific evidence connecting viruses and meningiomas

There are some genetic conditions that predispose to multiple meningiomas - such as neurofibromatosis type 2. This is due to a gene mutation that can be tested for, that results in tumor s such as acoustic neuromas or meningiomas. The diagnosis is suggestred by other family member being effected, although the mutation can occur de nove. Other causes of multiple meningiomas include prior brain radiation.  

Genetic testing is available, and may be useful in determining outcome. Meningiomas are slow growing (usually) and can be left alone if not causing any problems or mass effect, although periodic ie yearly scans can be done.

Good luck
Speaking of Meningioma's....here's is some photo's my Hemangioma on the MRI and CT films.   I hope that a doctor will drop by this thread and take a look at these films also:

http://www.geocities.com/billybo94102/photopagetan.html

My symtoms (symptoms) are constant low to mid grade pressure headache for 5 months strait, often temporarily relieved greatly by applying pressure to frontal (forehead) sinuses;  heavy headed feeling;  blurred sense of reality, and difficulty on concentrating especially focusing on moving objects; dizzy spells, and continuous anxiety for absolutely no reason whatsoever (no history of such).   28 year old male with no history of medical problems.  My doctors dismiss the idea that this is a problem after extensive blood testing is all negative, this is the only abnormality left in the picture.  It appears to me that the left frontal lobe is being compromised (mashed down) by the lesion.   Thank you so much.
Update on Tumor. Now know this tumor was part of the orginal that was not removed due to being in the cavernous section. The thing is that the neuro never revealed that he left anything behind until the final MRI showed that it was there.
Sorry, one more update.. he also had a thryoid tumor removed several years ago that was not cancer.
From my research, I believe that meningioma's have about a 1 in 5 shot of returning over time so if it wasn't all taken out it may have grown back.  

I hope the doctor reads us soon I have been trying to post here so long  I am borderline desperate,   doctors please see my MRI scans at my website link above, and please if you could tell me what you think the % odds this lesion is the root cause of my symptoms?   I know you can't officially diagnose me but can you tell me does it look quite concerning?

Thank you   good luck every one!

Here's the link to the films.   Note the captions as 2 of the photos' are of my CT september 2004  and the MRI scans are of May of this year.

Please accept my apologies, I posted my questions in the wrong format under another user's post.    I hope I didn't mess anything up.  Please see my new post under subject: "Benign Hemangioma/Meningioma causing frontal lobe compression....please help doc"