Meningioma recurrence
I had a craniotomy in July 2010 to remove a 7.5 cm falx meningioma. The biopsy came back a grade I, and the neurosurgeon said that it was completely removed. I recovered well considering the magnitude of the surgery and now have partial seizures controlled with Topamax.  Last January (2012), a follow up MRI showed a regrowth (4.8 x 3.1 x 1.4 cm) and I had Gamma Knife in February.  Another follow up MRI in August showed that about 1/3 of the tumor was still there (2/3 of it was taken care by the Gamma Knife procedure).  Now we are going to review it in February.  My question is, how safe it is to have 1/3 of the tumor still there?  Is it true that if a meningioma recurs, I only have 50% chances of survival?  When my doctor was talking to me last year and suggested Gamma Knife, he also said "we can save full brain radiation and another craniotomy for future needs."  Does that mean that he knows I will need that?  I don't know what to expect.  
H there!

With local recurrence at the primary site alone, the prognosis usually better with recurrence elsewhere. Since a gamma knife has been unsuccessful, a more radical procedure may be advisable at this time. It would be best to discuss the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating neurosurgeon.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!