Neurology Expert Forum
Meningioma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Meningioma

I have just been dx with a small (8mm) extra-axial collection along the greater wall of the right sphenoid bone superolateral to the orbit.  It was only seen on the post contrast axial image and they say in the report it most likely is a small meningioma.  I am 38 years old and would like to know what course of treatment is suitable for my age and the position of where it is located.  Also, what is the long term prognosis in this situation.  Thank you!!
  • meningioma (2 replies):
    Several weeks ago I started noticing that I was spelling...[more]
  • Meningioma (5 replies):
    I've been diagnosed with a meningioma, the size of a gra...[more]
  • meningioma (1 replies):
    I have a large calcified meningioma at the mid brain whi...[more]
  • Re: Meningioma (1 replies):
    Posted By CCF Neurology W6 MD on September 24, 1998 at 2...[more]
  • meningiomas (3 replies):
    My 72 year old dad has been diagnosed with a 2.3 cm meni...[more]
Meningiomas are benign growths which originate from the coverings around the brain. Very rarely do they degenerate and become "malignant". In most individuals if the menigioma is small (yours is), and it is not causing symptoms, then they are just followed. Once they cause symptoms or become to big, then they can be surgically removed. If you are not having symptoms then following the lesion with repeat imaging would probably be the best course of action. Good luck.
I also want to add from the report that there is no mass effect, no extra axial fluid collections, hemorrhage or edema.  Thanks again.
Do these types of growths always grow or can they remain the same during your lifetime.  Also, if I do need surgery in the future, is the position of this in an area that is easily accessiblem and are there any types of non-invasive surgeries for someone in my situation?  Also, will there be any lasting effects after a surgery?  I am a wreck over this and I really appreciate your assistance in helping me understand what I'm up against.  Since I just found out about this Friday, I am still looking into locating a neurologist.  I never expected this dx as it was an incidental finding.  Thanks again.