Neurology Community
Meningitis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Meningitis?

Three days ago, I was using a public toliet and I dropped my ceramic tobacco pipe and keys into the toliet accidentally before leaving as I was grabbing something out of my bag. I quickly fished them out and quickly ran water over them in the sink and threw them back in my bag.  The next day, I ran hot water and used soap on both of them.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I foolishly used the pipe later that day.

Since the toliet incident, I have noticed my throat feels strange and sore muscles in the back of my neck and my back feels tight and a bit sore. I do not have a fever or headache, nor sensitivity to light.  But, is it possible that I contracted meningitis from the toliet water after using the pipe and handling the keys?

Last Sunday, I started the gym again and did vigorous ab exercises (sit ups and crunches) after a year-long haitus. I also did arm exercises with weights. I noticed my arms were sore the very next day but my neck and back started feeling sore about three days later.  Because of the delayed neck and back aches as well as strange throat feeling, I am nervous that the toliet water gave me meningitis.  

Does this make any sense or am I just driving myself crazy with worry? Is my pain simply a well times coincidence caused by the gym workout? Or should I be worried that the dirty toliet gave meningitis?
I also wanted to note that I read that meningitis can be contracted from fecal matter..
Hi!
It is less likely to be meningitis and more likely a case of sore muscles due to unaccustomed exercise. However, yes, if there was infection on the pipe, you may be developing sore throat. Take your body temperature and see. If you are running a temperature, consult a doctor immediately.
Otherwise do gargles with warm water to which you can add betadine. Go slow on exercise. Drink plenty of fluids and take acetaminophen to ease your sore muscles. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.