Neurology Expert Forum
Mental Disorders/ Neurological Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mental Disorders/ Neurological Problems

Ever since I can remember, I've had this problem where when my face gets too close to an old television screen or an old computer monitor screen, I go into a trance-like state where against my control my head starts twitching and drawing closer to the screen. When this happens, I can't think, blink, or look away and am hard to snap out of this trace-like state. Many have witnessed it happen and they have to break my trance by breaking eye contact with the screen. Someone speaking to me sounds like they are distant and it's hard to comprehend whats going on. Is it a type of epilepsy or other neurological problem? Also, I am Manic Depressive, have Anxiety, Panic Disorder, ADHD, and Major Depression. Can my mental disorders have a link to a possible neurological problem? I also get really bad migraines followed by auras that come from the base of my skull and can last for 1-5 days. Can that be related to a possible neurological problem as well?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

From your description one differential to consider certainly are seizures. People can have seizures where they have blank stares. Also certain types of seizures/epilepsy are “photosensitive” meaning they can be triggered by flashing lights. The correct way to evaluate this would be to see a neurologist for a history and physica exam and then perform an EEG to diagnose what these events are. If they are true seizures, an EEG can help detect the abnormal brain electricity and be diagnostic.

You mention that you have certain mental disorders. If no electrical disturbance is seen on the EEG during the period when one of your spells is happening, then there are two possibilities. One is that the electrical disturbance is too mild to be picked up by the EEG scalp. The other possibility is that these are non epileptic events.

Non epileptic events are not uncommon. One cause of it is depression/anxiety/stress. It is important to realize that production of seizure activity in a nonepileptic event is not intentional. The brain acts through pathways to convert masked stress/anxiety/depression into activity which looks like seizure activity.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck