Neurology Community
Microdiscectomy L5/S1 Pre-op Pain Has Returned

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello

I had a microdiscectomy to remove a large disc herniation between L5/S1 on April 8th of this year.  My recovery was progressing very well, and I was seeing improvement and was ready to return to work on May 4th.  

Then, when I woke up yesterday (Friday), I noticed that I was having pretty severe sciatic pain, moreso than usual.  I hoped that it would go away as I got up and moved around as it usually does.  Instead, the pain grew worse through the day.  I called my surgeon, and they called me back at the very end of the day to say take Percocets and to give it four or five days before becoming concerned.  Now it's Saturday, and the sciatic pain is worse still; it is comparable to what I experienced before I had surgery.  There is no position in which I can find relief, and the Percocets are not relieving the pain (I'm taking two every six hours).  

Neither my orthopedic doctor nor my general physician  will prescribe medication on the weekend, and the only advice I received was to go to the emergency room.  I am reluctant to do so.  Before my surgery, I was in such excruciating pain that I went to the ER, and they just injected me with pain meds and sent me home.  It helped for a few hours, but wasn't worth the trouble.  

I don't know what to do.  Is it normal for such severe pain to recur this long after surgery, especially after such a successful recovery?  How will I know if the disc has reherniated?  Is there anything more I can do to relieve the pain?  Percocets and ice are not even making a dent.  Please, please help.
I had the same surgery and about 3 wks later  I started hurting again.  The nuerosurgeon gave me steroids and an anti-inflammatory med.  That got me straightened bk out.  I also used ice  instead of heat.  Hope this helps.  However a yr later after sugery I am looking at 2 more disc bulging and DDD.  I hurt like I did before.  It just isnt constant.  Sleeping is something else.  I cant sleep long cause lying flat really hurts so bad.  My Dr. says surgery again but I am holding off.