Neurology Community
Migraine /Pain behind ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Migraine /Pain behind ear

I'm 21 and ive been getting migraines pretty much my whole life... My problem now it i get this pain behind my left ear sometimes ( and I usually get my migraines on the left side ) right before a migraine.. But this mornign I had woek up at 4 am because of the intense spurts of pain behind my left ear.. They will only last a second or two and will reoccur after 30 seconds or a minute.. The intervals eventually increased so I went back to sleep.. When I woek up at *8 amI still had it but it was less intense so I took some advil and again the pain decreased... What is that caused by? It was alittel scary..
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. Pain behind the left ear could be due to other causes than migraine like otitis media,  infection of outer ear and ear canal, damge to ear drum, mastoiditis, a blocked Eustachian tube due to flu, tooth problem or barotrauma caused by sudden change in altitude. Any of these could be causing the pain behind the ear along with migraine. Consult an otolaryngologist or a specialist who takes care of ailments of ear, nose and throat and a detailed clinical examination would reveal the cause. Management of migraine remains same, avoiding triggers, taking triptans to treat and topamax to prevent the attack. Take care.