Neurology Expert Forum
Migraine, tingling and numbness in arms, legs and face

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have the following symptoms, tingling, numbness in arms, legs and face, most of the time on left side, sometimes on right. hands and feet fall asleep easily, especially at night.  Weakness in arms and legs mostly left side, sometimes right. Pain on neck and back mostly shoulder blades. Headaches sometimes in back of head, sometimes front and sides.  Sometimes I feel anxious with chills and tremors.
Migraine advil sometimes helps, xanax always helps but puts me to sleep in an hour .5 mg.
Please help, i will appreciate it.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The cause of burning and tingling symptoms depends largely on their distribution: what parts of the body they occur in.

(1) symptoms worst in the hands and feet: this can be caused by a process called a neuropathy, which has many different etiologies.
(2) Symptoms present on one side of the body versus the other, or in just one limb. Causes could include a stroke or the condition multiple sclerosis. These would best be excluded by an MRI.
(3) If symptoms migrate (move from one place to the other) and are intermittent, causes might include seizures, migraine disorder or metabolic problems such as low calcium.
(4) Often these symptoms may reflect emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress (what is called somatization disorder). The latter is a true medical condition whereby instead of a patient experiencing depression or anxiety, they experience physical symptoms, and once the stress is addressed, the symptoms resolve. Many times hyperventilating will provoke the symptoms.

I would suggest you follow up with your primary physician for an examination and a more detailed history, which may lead to one diagnosis over another.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.