Neurology Community
Migraine induced tinnitus...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Migraine induced tinnitus...

Hello everyone. Back in February I had a a bad bought of migraines. I had a migraine that started on the 14. I took a Fioricet at around 8pm, went to bed. I woke up around 2am and my migraine was not any better. I took another Fioricet then. When I woke up at 7am on the 15th my headache was not any better. I took another Fioricet at 8am. I woke up at noon and my migraine was still the same. I waited until 1:30 and took two excedrine migraine. At around 4 the migraine went away.

Now my usual migraine medication is Zomig 5mg. I was out of this prescription and was given Fioricet by an ER doctor during a visit for migraines back in Novemer 2011. I called the doctor and had the Zomig refilled. Around 11am on the 16th I started getting another migraine. I took a Zomig. At around 1pm I took two Slimquicks with a Monster Energy drink (in hindsight probably not the smartest thing to do...). Then around 6pm my migraine started to come back with ringing in my ears. I took a Fioricet, as I was not home and had the Fioricet in my overnight bag. The migraine and the ringing did not go away. In the morning when I returned home I still had the migraine and took a Zomig. The migraine then stopped but the ringing in my ears did not.

I called my primary care doctor, he told me that the ringing would go away when things settled down. Four days later my ears were still ringing. He told me to take Clariton D for 7 days and if the ringing did not go away he would refer me to an ENT. Well, the ringing didn't go away. I called and asked to be refered to an ENT and a Neurologist. The ENT had an audiologist conduct a hearing exam. He said that I had a little high frequency hearing loss but it was not outside of the normal range for my age (28). The neurologist thought I had taken too much asprin/OTC medications for my migraines and told me not to take anything and to take 8 Lipoflavinods and 4 B complex daily for 2 months. She also did an MRI of my head. No tumors, masses, etc. only shoed a slight thickening of the linging in my sinus cavity. She put me on a muscle relaxer (flexeril 5mg) to relax the tension in my shoulders, neck, and jaw. She then suggested that I go and be evaluated for TMJ.

I returned to see the ENT and he prescriped a steroidal nasal spray to help with the chronic sinus problems. I then went to go see a TMJ specialist. I have TMJ that is more prominent on my left side. I know TMJ can cause tinnitus.  I've been a chronic teeth grinder/clencher for years. I've had nightguards for at least the last 10 years. I chew through them.

Can TMJ, even though its not a new thing, just all of the sudden cause tinnitus? Is there any chance that the tinnitus will go away on its own? Will the tinnitus go away if I am treated for TMJ (mouthpiece)? Should I look into masker because chances are this is never going to go away?