Neurology Community
Mild Narrowing of the C5/C6
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mild Narrowing of the C5/C6

I've been having pins and needles down my arm and pain in shoulder for about 6 weeks. Every day it seems to be getting worse, I can't do dishes, bath my children or even use the mouse on my computer without the pain escalating to an excrusiating level.

My xrays only showed Mild narrowing of the C5-6 disc space with mild retrolistheses, straightening of cervical lordosis. ( which i don't fully understand what this means)

My question is.... Could there be more going on? If this is mild, I swear i'd shoot myself if it got to moderate or severe.

Besides physio/message therapy, is there anything i can do at home? I'm not covered for the treatment the dr recommended..

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond :)
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi there. I can understand your predicament. The narrowing of C5 C6 disc space could cause compression of the nerve root exiting at the level. This could lead to neurological symptoms of nerve compression in the neck, arm, shoulder and hand. Severe cases it can disturb sleep, gives difficult time in doing chores.
Consult your neurologist who would assess with an MRI spine if there were other spinal levels involved in the degenerative disc disease. Light exercise may help return the disc to place. Avoid contact sports, heavy weight lifting, and running. Painkillers should be taken on a regular schedule and not just in response to pain flare ups. Physiotherapy and epidural injections of steroids may help reduce the inflammation. Severe cases need surgical decompression for relief of symptoms where the section of the disc is cut which puts pressure on the nerves. The trapped nerve can be tested by nerve conduction velocity study. Discuss these options with your doctor. Take care.
Blank
Thanks for your response. Unfortunatley I have to wait until november to see a neurologist for an unrelated issue. But in the mean time my dr has prescribed Gabapentin (sp?) once a day along with my usual dose of ibrophen and emtec.

No other treatment atm. Will try some light excercise.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...