Mild Traumatic Brain Injury - loss of smell
Hi, last month I had a mild traumatic brain injury. I passed out while standing on the stairs and slammed the back of my head on the tile floor at the bottom. I suffered hairline fractures of the skull, a small bleed on the occipital lobe, and a bruise on the frontal lobe. I lost consciousness for less than five minutes. I have lost my sense of smell for the most part. If there is a smell in the air, all I smell is burning rubber. I have lost 23 pounds in the last month and a half because food does not taste good. I had a normal EEG, the bleed has gotten better according to the CT, and I have to wait 3 more weeks before I can have an MRI due to a recent pacemaker implant (I fell because my heart stopped for 15 seconds). So my question is -- Will smell/taste ever return? I can taste most fruit, and super spicy foods but that's about it. I still have headaches across the back of my head, but I suppose that is to be expected. Also is the burning rubber smell normal? I saw the neurologist and she said she would research it and get back to me. That was 2 weeks ago. So I wondered if anyone here has had this experience?
I had a mild TBI about 3 years and had brain contusion.  I also lost the real smell and taste and everything tasted/smelt weird and bad and lost lot of weight.  Since you didn't lose completely there is a very good chance it comes back.

For 2 years I didn't see much improvement and then gradually it improved.  Not 100% but about 80%.  Sometimes it gets back to 100%.  Now I am at a point I don't need to worry about that..  I tried lot of therapies and meds/supplements for other issues but I think it may have helped.

Take B12 supplement and it can help nerve regeneration.  I tried Neurofeedback too and had some good results but effect didn't last longer.  

You can refer this site for more info.  This doc supposed to be good in U.S. for treating that condition but for this condition no one can give guarantee.
http://www.tasteandsmell.com/

Another thread where you can see good and bad news.  

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Head--Traumatic-Brain-Injury/Head-trauma-causes-loss-of-smell-taste/show/612120