Mild cortical atrophy
I had a CT scan done recently for headaches. It came back with "mild cortical atrophy and commensurate ventricular dilatation" I am a 52 yr old male. Is this cause for worry. What can it mean?

Hello.

The findings on the CT scan are probably age related changes. At 50 plus, we do expect some loss of the cortex. And with the loss of cortex, the ventricles (fluid filled spaces) do enlarge. But the pressure inside them is normal.

I don't see any cause for concern as long as your memory and other cognitive abilities are intact.

Hope your headache is gone now !?

Regards
Thanks. Headaches still occcurring almost daily. Advil and Therapeutic massage to neck and base of head seem to help. Got appointment with nuerologist in 2 weeks for the CT analysis.

BTW,any effective treatment for the mild cortical atrophy problem. I do like to drink wine everyday and have for many years. Could that contribute?
Hello.

I am sorry to say that whatever atrophy has happened, can not be reversed. Atrophy is a permanent change. This is an incidental finding.

Your Neurologist may suggest some neuro-protective medicines to stop further atrophy.

Regards
I am confused, the neurologist I saw today said my MRI shows maybe MS or/and mild stroke? It reads nonspecific foci increased T2 signal in cerebral white matter. Differential considerations include demyelinating process, vasculitis or chronic microvascular ischemia. 2) Mild cortical atrophy? What is he telling me, I kept asking, but it is getting confusing. My sister has MS