Neurology Community
"Mild reduction in perfusion/function of the parietal regions bila...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

"Mild reduction in perfusion/function of the parietal regions bilaterally"

Hi. I would really like some expert help with a hypothesis I am preparing regarding my 56 year old husband's income protection insurance claim. He was made redundant from his software engineering job of 13 years at the end of 2006 when it was sent off-shore. He has since had about 12 jobs of various duration and, since 2007, has only been able to retain his part-time liquor retailing job.

In 2009 I noticed some subtle changes in his behaviour and abilities and our family doctor who had been handling our children's ADHD and Aspergers, and my husband's ADHD, referred him to be assessed for early onset Alzheimers and we began a process of claiming his income protection insurance on the basis that it appeared he would no longer be able to perform in his previous role.

For eight months the insurance company paid on the claim and then they stopped payment, presumably because those 2009 neurological tests results did not indicate Alzheimers. There was, however, a nuclear medicine HMPAO and SPECT scan done that indicated a "mild reduction in perfusion/function of the parietal regions bilaterally". The report on this scan does not appear to have surfaced until it was received by our local doctor in March 2011, but it seems it was not passed onto us, or his other doctors! My husband, due to his organisational difficulties, lost (repeatedly) all his reports/notes on the case, which is being handled by the Financial Ombudsman, so I only knew of/ received a copy of the report on this scan a week ago. There has been no follow-up scan, despite the comment that "progress assessment is suggested". It is now my job to prepare a response to the Ombudsman, theoretically in the next 24 hours!

I'm afraid all of that is just background information, and my question is this: Could a "mild reduction in perfusion/function of the parietal regions bilaterally" explain some personality changes? Could it explain his inability to navigate an unfamiliar or altered web-site, despite 30 years of IT experience? Anecdotally speaking, could it explain why, in our cluttered garage, I have to describe, in great detail, the box I am asking him to relocate, despite it being right in front of him?

My (extremely recent) reading indicates that 'Bi-lateral damage (large lesions to both sides) can cause "Balint's Syndrome," a visual attention and motor syndrome. This is characterized by the inability to voluntarily control the gaze (ocular apraxia), inability to integrate components of a visual scene (simultanagnosia), and the inability to accurately reach for an object with visual guidance (optic ataxia) (Westmoreland et al., 1994).' In my husband's 2009 neurological tests and his follow-up testing in 2010, he had difficulty reproducing a picture. Given that the current-day software engineer must constantly use and create GUI's (Graphic User Interfaces), and that these GUI's are often non-static, would someone with parietal damage/degradation have difficulty in this area?

His programming process previously consisted of taking large sections of code and breaking then up into smaller chunks for analysis and alteration. He sometimes has very little insight into his difficulties, but today he was able to describe in detail how he would find the execution of his previous duties more challenging than perhaps it would be worth to a prospective employer.

I realise that my questions are extremely theoretical, but I would appreciate some more insight into what this SPECT scan indicates in terms of what defecits may be expected, now and in the future.

Thanking you in advance,
Glynis.
My Financial Ombudsman submission deadline has been extended until the end of this week, so I would still appreciate an answer to my query. We are trying to get a PET scan done, or an appointment with a neurologist, but time is fleeting, as they say.  Please help.