Neurology Expert Forum
Misdiagnosed?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Misdiagnosed?

33 years old female. diagnosed with either ms or possible stroke last april.after mri and lp was done it was finally diagnosed as a stroke (Mri had one small lesion in right frontal lobe and lp was clear).I recovered over a period of months believing that I wouldn't have a return of the symptoms I experienced back then (unless I had another stroke)but in december I was diagnosed with optic neuritis and referred back to my neurologist.I have since experienced the same symptoms plus new ones.  
My old symptoms were tingling/numbness and weakness, brain fog-innability to comprehend what was being said,slurred speech,and ear ringing.My new symptoms are optic neuritis and 2 weeks after diagnosis of optic neuritis I had a return of all my previous symptoms and some spasms in my left arm and legs(my husband could see my spasms as they were occuring and he was alarmed) and I am waiting to see the neuro again.1. Is there a possible link between my stroke 9 months ago and optic neuritis now?2. What the heck is with the new symptoms and are they linked to my stroke 9 months ago?3. Is it possible the abnormality on my mri was something else and I really didn't have a stroke at all?4 What can I do about the pain, ibuprofen isn't helping and how long should I expect this to last?5 Is it possible this is MS or something else and the doctors are all wrong...(that would make it my 3rd relapse if it is ms) as I have has a previous instance of weakness in my left hand (couldn't open tinned food and lift objects like kettles or pots) a couple years ago which I left untreated at the time.
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet, so my advice is limited to educational advice only

Stroke does happen in 30 year olds but is rare, whereas a female in her 30s is the highest age risk group for MS. I cannot comment on the reliability of the diagnosis of stroke, but overall your clinical picture is suggestive of a diagnosis of MS (the clinical information and the MRI abnormality are sufficient for the diagnosis, CSF results are not needed). I would see you neurologist again or get a second opinion on this to confirm or refute this possibility as there is effective treatment for MS out there to limit attacks and reduce progression of the disease.

Paroxysmal spasms can occur in MS (as well as some other disorders) so could be consistent with this. If recurrent spasms are a particular problem - they usually affect the face - some medications like carbamazepine can be of help.

The Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis at the Cleveland Clinic has a lot of experience in diagnosing MS, and could help you if you wished.
Good luck
I have had some weird symptoms over the past several years.   Thought I'd share them with you and compare some of the symptoms.  About 4 years ago, I had an episode which we don't know if it was a TIA, Migraine variant, or something else.  I started having trouble speaking, couldn't say the names of my children, when spoke made no sense, couldn't remember phone numbers when trying to call for help, wrote down a phone # that was recited to me during event, every # I wrote down wrong, total confusion lasted about 10-15 minutes.  Symptoms were gone by the time we got to the ER.  Had Cat Scan, MRI, TEE (ultrasound), total work up.  Found out have positive ANA, other than that all tests normal. Since then have had times where had wierd tingling sensations over 1 leg, also numbness/tingling feeling in 1 arm occasionally.  Sometimes speech slurres, say the wrong words etc.....   Now also having pins/needles feeling in feet to the point it REALLY hurts when in warm water.  Just still kind of watching symptoms and keeping track if anything new comes up.  
Hope you get more answers with your appointment with your Neuro.