My husband and I have the same mental symptoms for almost 10 years. We lived in a house for 15 years with all sorts of terrible mold in the basement from water, sometimes getting on stored stuff and on wall partitions down there, and upstairs some black mold around the edges of the tub. We didn't know this was problematic until it was on the news, so we cleaned it up a couple years ago. It dawned on me just the other day that since we have the same symptoms, it might have been that mold, and perhaps the spores are in our bodies and creating neurological problems.
We both have very bad concentration, can't mentally filter or attach words with thoughts properly, lose balance often, walk with a wobble, exhaustion doing little things, no strength, got depression and anxiety. We're only in our mid-50s and neither of us can work. We just want to do the simple things in life and we can't.
If this sounds like other people who have had mental problems related to mold, I'd like to hear it, please. What doctor can we see and what blood test to ask for? Took me two hours to put together this post. Thank you.
My son has seizures. I visited the epilepsy board and did find that a woman said her daughter's seizures were caused by the toxic mold in their house (caused asthma, a rash all over the body, and seizures)- confirmed by a Dr. in New York specializing in allergies. All of which went away when they had to abandon the home and all the posessions inside. I just sent out the mold tests I did on my house yesterday. Let me try to find her message. She was kind enough to personally answer my question.
Here it is-- A quote follows:
We had found small spots of mold but at the time nothing major.My youngest daughter was one when we moved into the house.She started having rashes.She was allergie tested but had no allergies that they could find.Then are other daughter started having headaches,stomaches and asthma problems.Everytime my stepdaughter came and stayed with us she would get sick.Then almost a year later I devoloped asthma and was always fatigued all the time.Almost a year later my little one started having seizures. She was immediatly put in the hospital.Then I developed the most horrible rash.It covered my whole body.
Through out all of this my girls ped started asking questions about our enviroment because she was watching their health as well as mine deteriate.I think it was my dad who first recommend a mold inspector.When I went to the hospital with my rash there was a new doctor there.She asked if I lived next to a radiation plant.Not even close.She was from another state somewhere.She said my rash was consesent with radiation poising.Then she started asking about my family.I told her the problems my kids were having.She said go home get your kids and leave your house its going to kill you.Then she asked if I had seen any mold in my house.After that I listened to my dad and called a mold inspetor.
When he got there and pulled the baseboards in my daughters r m it was covered in thick black mold.I knew then.We ened up having it in every room in the house.
Once the ped saw the report she agreed that the mold had caused my girls problems.The first neruo wasnt sure because we live in CA and they are just starting to look at mold as causing health problems.Her new neruo was an expert in different areas.She order several test on my daughter over a couple of years.She also treated my other daughter for the headaches and stomaches.
During this time I contacted a doctor out of New York.He is an expert in toxic mold related illness.I sent him copys of my kids charts from the ped from before we lived in the house until after we had left the house.He concluded that the mold is what caused my daughters seizures and my familys health issues
Both my older kids health returned to normal soon after we left the house.My fatigue is gone and for the most part so is the asthma.My daughter with the seizures still has seizures but we do know from testing that she will someday outgrow them.She doesnt have eplipsy,no scarring on the brain or abnormalities
I too have had health issues living in a damp basement with mold spores.
I also live in a lyme endemic area, ELISA and Western blot are inconclusive. My symptoms are chronic fatigue, neuropathy hands and feet, photophobia of eyes, joint problems, and brain fog.
I have also had MRI, LP, numerous blood work all negative.
I have moved home now, but for the last 5 years my recovery is slow and steady.
Can I ask, What is the remedy to mold spores? any medicines or herbs that can help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You know, I posted the above original post more than two years ago, and I have since determined that our family's health issues are not related to mold. For a while, I DID find out that respiratory problems are what come from mold. BUT a couple months ago, I responded to a question about mold from another person in the gastro forum, and I decided to do a little online research about mold again, and lo and behold, I came across a website or two that talked about possible neurological problems from mold. This was new to me, but I didn't remember where I saw it becuz it didn't apply to the person I was replying tor, nor to me. So, I think if you did a general online search of "toxic mold" perhaps, you could dig up what I found. Sorry I cannot be more help.
I lived in a place that had toxic mold. The doctors thought it was in my head. I went to the hospital twice for heart attacks. Im 35! I had memory loss rashes buzzing in the brain chest pains coughing none stop and masive anxiety stomach bloating and on and on. Finally went to an allergist turns out i was 9 out of 10 allergic to mold. I think if i get retested now it would be a 3 now that im out. Been out of there for 8 months now the growth on my voice box is going away acid reflux gone sleep apnea gone no rashes but my brain isnt as sharp as it used to be. Im hoping my brain comes back. It takes awhile but i found a good resource in www.mold-survivors.comI had 90% of the symptoms 3/4 are gone now but still not to where is used to be but getting there.
Good luck this thing is wicked you have to just move.Through away the vacume cleaner and anything else that might have it on it.
Thanks for the new link, I'll be looking at it. We're both still pretty spaced out, live in a different place, but I finally concluded since we both have bad back problems, that's why we're a little out of it.
Hi there. There have been studies investigating and finding a strong positive association between molds and damp homes and clinical depression. Molds are toxins and can affect the nervous system and immune system or impede the function of the frontal cortex, the part responsible for impulse control, memory, problem solving, socialization and spontaneity. Consult a neurologist for the best guidance. Take care.
Mold can cause serious health problems including neurological issues. For accurate information about the health effects of mold, go to http://truthaboutmold.info and check out the Global Indoor Health Network at http://globalindoorhealthnetwork.com. Be sure to read GIHN's new position statement.
I moved into a house, landlords rigged up flex duct and used old parts when roof was replaced due to leak. HORRIBLE mold everywhere. Still leaks in walls one from hot water heater tank(pics). Kids and us got sick. We've had sinus infection for over a year, breathing my newborn was on an apnea monitor till we moved unknown why by ARKANSAS CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL. Both kids are disabled due to delays also unexplained. motor skills, cognitive. ect. CT in april 2014 i got a diagnosis of partial opacification of left sinus impression sphenoid sinusitis. http://s26.postimg.org/6rgd2j8xl/Ct_Partial_opacification_left_sphenoid_Sphenoid.jpg Neuro says i'm fine on mri however i see clearly thrombosis but am NOT a dr. Just a worried mom. I ate the mold to further my point (march) as noone took the mold seriously. my children are sick and this is was in March we discovered that mold was bad. We were fine before that house. Kids have an appt with children's hospital immunology in AUGUST. I know it wasn't smart, i didn't know it would do that but as a desperate mom trying to help her kids i thought if i showed mycotixns in my blood, they would listen. I had seizures for 2 days am now on kepra. I didn't know it would do that. Did NOT tell neuro, he'd think i was crazy and i suppose it was. I had to help my kids though, no one would listen. Mold is no big deal blah blah.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.