Neurology Community
Mold and Neurological Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mold and Neurological Problems

For the past month or so, when the weather began to get warmer, I've been experiencing dizziness, slight imbalance, and a "zoning out" and "feeling detached" from the world around me. I've basically felt like an ill space cadet. I've been having severe anxiety and stress about it, and I live in an awful dump of a college housing apartment. Theres multiple problems like water damage in the ceiling above my shower, and my friend who lives upstairs has a hole in his bathtub, so water leaks wherever probably. I called the city health department and they told me that I have to get an independent agent to text for neuro-toxic mold, and and I've been to the doctor and no one seems to be helping me. They keep telling me mold will affect me like classic allergy symptoms, (sneezing, watery eyes, etc) I also live in a basement apartment, and theres just a cement slab under the carpets which could probably sweat and make nice conditions for mold. for the past two days when I discoverted that the possibility of toxic mold in my apartment could be causing my symptoms, I immediatly left and have been living out of my apartment for the past two days or so. I am slowly and gradually feeling a tad better though. I ended my lease, and I'm done living there by the end of this month. I'm going to see a neurologist because my family doctor told me I probably have neurological problems (neurotoxic mold?) and I'm going to call them and request a MELISA test for environmental metals and toxins. any thoughts or possible knowledge about this stuff?
thank you
Mold growth in buildings can lead to a variety of health issues. Various practices can be followed to mitigate mold issues in buildings, the most important of which is to reduce moisture levels that can facilitate mold growth. Removal of affected materials after the source of moisture has been  eliminated may be necessary for remediation.Mold spores can be allergenic, causing irritations of eye, nose, throat, and lungs. In response to this, the MELISA test can determine whether or not a person is allergic to a specific mold.This would help to identify a specific mold and thereafter its treatment can follow.

I have seen signs of mold in my home over the last year or maybe a little longer . I have also just came to realize in the last few weeks that my phycalogical problems did not start until the mold problem. So I do believe there's a connection to it that maybe causing some of my symptoms . I have become with drawn . I have lost interest in my horses ,which is not like me at all. I have always lived to spend time my horses . It takes everything in me to make myself go out of my home any more . I get frustrated easily ,lose my temper over much of nothing . When I get angry I end up breaking something .    
      I too have problems with my balance now as well .Fell and crushed my  wrist a year ago . After reading Your post I realize my husband and I have many of the same symptoms . I have just today decided to look into the effects of mold neurologically . Because as I stated above I did not start to have these problems until the mold. I have also noticed when I go away for a while my condition improves until I return home . Even though We can't afford to have the mold removed I am hoping it is the mold that is causing our symptoms .I do have a small camper and I will be moving into it for while to see if symtoms (symptoms) subside .
  I also suffer from head aches , runny nose many of the allergic reactions . also suffer from asthma and have notice a markedly change how often I affects Me now too. I wish You t best and will check back for updates on your condition ..