Neurology Community
Multiple Sclerosis and Chiari Malformation??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have diagnosed with MS in 1989 (by MRI w/Multiple Lesions on Brain)  and Fibromyalgia in 1999.  

Now I am having symptoms like burning headaches, severe pain the neck and between shoulders (chiropractic has not helped), tightness/almost locked jaw, ringing in ears,  I have had slurred speech, loss of balance, numbness in hands (cannot feel cold or heat or sensation), hearing loss, swallowing problems and insomnia.  

It has been suggested to me that I may have been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia after rear end auto accident instead of Chiari Malformation. I am unsure whether to approach my Neurologist about this or not.  I did have an older sibling die at birth due to water on the brain and also have a niece with a Tethered Spine.  

I would appreciate any comments or advice.  

Hi....it is not uncommon to have a mis dx for fibro, I had one, only to find out I indeed did have chiari...I also have tethered cord.

Lesions on the brain can also be from headaches, not always a sign for MS...MS should be seen as demylation  ...plus a LP is usually done to look at proteins in the CSF.....

Ask for copies of the MRI that showed the lesions....ask for the report....and depending on how long since, ask for a new one to be done so they can be compared.

Have u been treated for MS, if so is it helping u?

"selma"

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc

I have an MRI that is less than 2 years old and one every 2-3 years before that.  

As far as the MS, I am only taking the usual muscle relaxers, etc., I mainly use Massage Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic and Supplements.  I AM NOT taking any injections such as Beta Interferon.  

My MS has been stable for several years so Dr. saw no reason to start injections.

I just live with the symptoms I have as I am blessed to not have to work and have a wonderful understanding husband that handles things on days I cannot due to fatigue, pain, etc.

I have just been unable to get the painful tight muscles in neck/shoulders and tight/locked jaws to abate.  That is why a friend of mine who is a nurse suggested the
Chiari Malformation.

Thanks for your response!

misskittyprissy

I was diagnosed with both Chiari  Malformation and Multiple Sclerosis. My neurosurgeon at the Medical University of Charleston, SC said he has never seen a patient with both of these disorders until he saw my MRI. He has suggested surgery and I would love to speak to someone that has BOTH. Please email me at ***@****....