Neurology Expert Forum
Multiple sclerosis -vs- where you live

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Multiple sclerosis -vs- where you live
I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio and now live in Florida.  I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2002.  I will be retiring from the Air Force 1 Mar 06 and plan to move back to the Cleveland area.  Through my readings about MS I have found that MS is most prevalent in the northern states.  My question is:  Once an individual is diagnosed with MS have there ever been any studies done on the progression and or amount and frequency of relapses in MS compared to where an individual lives in the United States?  I would hate to move back to Ohio only to have my disease progress faster.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
The geographical effect of developing effect is well known - MS is more common in northern lattitudes and we do not know exactly why

This effect only related to growing up in that area - if a person living in a northern lattitude moves at an early age to a southern lattitude they do not carry the risk with them.

If you are older and already have MS, the lattitude effect (Which is realted to the developement of MS and not relapses) should not effect you.

There is no known effect of weather etc on MS relapses, although hot weather can make symptoms worse - your MS is perhaps more likely to improve!

Good luck
I'm sure a doc will eventually get to your question. But all the reports I've read explored a statistical relationship between MS and WHERE YOU GREW UP--say, to age 18--not necessarily where you live now. I think a little googling might turn up some good info.
I am also from Ohio, but I have lived in North Carolina for seven years, I know many people here with MS,  I don't think that in the United States that more north or south makes a difference.
Love to know more about MS and why people have a tendancy to get it... and when?? How?? From WA state. What are the evident symptoms?
A related discussion, How many people does Florida has with Multiple Sclerosis? was started.
A related discussion, MS demographics was started.