Neurology Expert Forum
Muscle Spasms - on a side of the body!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle Spasms - on a side of the body!

I'm a 26 years old male and here are my symptoms:
- muscle spasms on a all(arm,leg) side of my body
- it happens on the left or the right side and includes the arm, leg, and maybe a little bit of the neck and that side of the face
- never all body just a side of it (right or left).. if it's on the left then my left leg and my left arm has a muscle spasm that differs in intensity and duration
- if I'm more relaxed then the spasm is less severe and it passes faster if I'm more active then the muscle spasm is harder, more hard to contain and the muscle tense up harder hence more pain and you feel like you where true a very hard exercise
- it's been going on for years like around 10 years with months that I have them less and months that I have a lot of them
- I don't have a history in my family for this type of thing and I don't suffer from anything other then this (also I'm overweight for all my life basically)
- mostly they happen when your in a pause then you have to move or do something a little bit faster, like I'm seating down and fast you need to get up then chances are that a muscle spasm will hit, or like your in pause waiting for a street light to turn green and if you stayed there and didn't move for like 45 seconds if you move you will get that nasty muscle spams on either the left or right side of your body
(and sometimes they happen when your sitting down at your pc you will get a little muscle spams nothing compared to one when you need to get up fast or move from a stand point faster, those are bigger in intensity)
- I have found that I can prevent them by moving just a little bit before getting up; something like just move the feet a few times before getting up or if you stay and wait for a street light just move a little bit never go in a total pause for more then 30 seconds because when that light turns green and you need to move there are big chances that the muscle spasm will hit; PS: I'm not stressed, I didn't suffer a hit or something like that.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Muscle aches, spasms, and pains have many causes. These include systemic causes such as viral or bacterial infection, myopathies (which can be inflammatory – polymyalgia rheumatica or inflammatory myopathy - or genetic), electrolyte abnormalities (such as with calcium or potassium), or even a problem with your thyroid gland. Other causes of muscle pain can be a result of referred pain from an internal organ or from trauma to or overuse of a muscle or even as a result of diabetes.

Other causes of myalgia can be from disorders called fibromyalgia, depression, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Additionally, some medications, such as statins, can cause muscle pains.

These are just a few of the causes of myalgia. I recommend that you follow up with your primary care physician to evaluate. He/she may wish to run some simple blood work including a chemistry and blood count as well as a CK and TSH levels. Also, he she can determine if it is a primary muscle problem or joint problem. The diagnosis will determine the treatment course. If the diagnosis cannot be quickly established empiric treatment may include heat, rest, acetaminophen or an NSAID, and/or physical therapy.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.