Neurology Expert Forum
Muscle Twiching(ALS)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle Twiching(ALS)

I am a 30 year old male, I had a muscle twitch that started in my left bicep that continued for about 2 weeks. I started to research on the internet and the most common thing is ALS, which scares me to no end.
It's been about three months since this all began. Now I notice every twitch in my body, my legs, arms, feet and hands.I also notice sometimes a pulling feeling in my left arm and pins and needles in half of my left foot.
I reached a point that I couldn't control my emotions and had to go to the hospital. The doctor told me it's just muscle fatigue, and my anxiety wasn't going to help.
I don't noticed any weakness or wasting. I do notice that my left bicep is smaller than my right,which I think is normal to alot of people, depending on which arm they use the most.
I'm just wondering if these sysmtoms of this horrible disease?

These symptoms alone do not suggest ALS, however without evaluating you I cannot make a diagnosis. Twitching of muscles can be from stress, fatigue, excessive excercise, electrolyte abnormalities, and benign fasciculation syndrome. If you are still concerned about ALS, then a consultation with a neurologist would be reasonable. Good luck.
Please go here: http://www.nextination.com/aboutbfs/ - I think it will ease your mind.

I have an eye twitch that won`t stop! It`s been going on for 11 days straight, no stopping, 24/7. I have a cavernous / venous angioma in the left frontal lobe, and have had other neurological symptoms the past 2 yrs. Doctors don`t think the symptoms are angioma related, but I can`t help but wonder. This eye twitching is scaring me now. It`s in the right lower lid, and is a rythmic twitching going back and forth continuously. I haven`t had caffeine in days, taking vitamins, getting sleep. I went to my PCP today, and he prescribed a muscle relaxer for 3 days, and Paxil for anxiety. I was kinda mad about the anxiety medicine. The only anxiety I have is from this twitch and these other symptoms! Has anyone else had an eye twitch that lasted over a week non-stop?? I need relief fast. Everything I read on the net about eye twitches is bad if the twitch isn`t intermittent. This twitch is driving me nuts! ***@****
Hi I also at times have muscletwiching. My doctor told me it was probably just being tired. This condition comes and goes.
I also get muscle spasms in my right leg from my hip to the knee. Sometimes just in the area where the hip and butt connect. I have some times felt that I have a pinched nerve or bursits.  Sometimes I can hardly walk.  So I hope there are some of you that have the same experiences that I have had???
Hi I am a 41 year old female. And this is my story. It has helped to read others in that knowing I am not alone.

On July 22, 2002 when walking into work I lost my balance as my legs began to feel very jittery or shakey (shaky). After sitting a few monments it went away.  Each day following the feeling came more frequently and lasted longer.  I began to fear walking, not knowing when I'd lose my balance.  Also, as I walked before I'd lose my balance the feeling would be replaced with excruitating pain.  Odd symstoms related to this was a crawling feeling in the back of head on the left side only and muscle twitching feeling like popcorm popping under my skin.  

I have had several MRI's, EMG of legs and arms (5 months later my arms started feeling the same way), spinal tap, x-rays of my hips and spine. All are normal or minor irritations that shouldn't cause this reaction.  I've had cortisone injections and only one seem to help. I take several medications daily to be able to walk.  I fatigue very easily and sometimes wake up most exhausted.  I can only sleep with medical aid.  I feel I am progressing. The twitching is more frequent.  It is in my legs, arms and face and kidney area. I also have odd chest pain that started a few months before I couldn't walk. X-rays have not found anything.  I occasionlly have problems breathing and swallowing for no apparent reason.  

I've been to the Univ of Mich to no avail.  I recently had a bone scan to rule out bone cancer and check for bone infection. I As my blood levels show infection and muscle imflammation. I am waiting on the results. I am also scheduled for a muscle biopsy.

It's been two years now and I am very frustrated and scared as this hasn't went away.  I wish that it would go away as suddenly as it came. Though I have feared from onset and after some research it sounds like ALS.  MS, MD, Lupus, Lyme and Myositis has been ruled out. They say ALS can't be considered until these things are ruled out.  And the doctors in my area don't believe a 40 year black female can get ALS.
I am a 29 year old white male and recently starting to have the same symptoms that were posted earlier where my left bicep started twitching uncontrolably for a few days. I didnt get spooked right off the bat because I've had the same response do to muscle fatigue before but I've lowered my workouts to nothing and now the spasms are occuring in other muscles as well. I'm beginning to lose sleep over it. My doctor has run some blood tests and so far all is normal. I am becoming  extremely worrisome over this. I had one MRI a few years ago for migranes (migraines) and all was normal. After a few more blood tests I may get another MRI. I am a really light sleeper and the muscle twitching is making things even worse. Any ideas?? I'm really spooked now.
Gina,
A related discussion, Similar symptoms to Gina120 was started.