Neurology Expert Forum
Muscle Twitches All OVER

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle Twitches All OVER

I get muscle twitches at least 20-40 times a day usually its in the legs or arm or just under the arm. I can see my muscles jumping. It started about 4 weeks ago and its starting to freak me out. I have been on xanax because I have been very stressed and have been having panic attacks. I dont take the xanax much now maybe once a week. Also I am a diabetic and am on blood pressure tablets . I am 24 years old. I am so afraid right now cos my health is so much in a mess I have always takin good care of my diabeties. My HBO is about 6.5 for my blood. I also got high cholestrol and I am normal weight and I try and watch what I eat. This muscle twitching has just pushed me to the edge no matter what I do some other medical thing comes along now I have this twitching to worry about. Can anyone tell me if they had similar expeience of muscle twitches and what you think might be the cause. thanks.
Muscle twitches are called fasciculations in medical terms. There is a condition called benign fasciculation syndrome which can occur in individuals your age. Also, fasciculations can occur secondary to stress, and excessive excercise. You should have this evaluated by seeing a neurologist. They may or may not decide to do an EMG, a test to look at the function of muscles and nerves. Good luck.
I also get muscle twitches and jumping in my arms and legs. I was told it was a combination of Restless Legs Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Syndrome. I have had to be very careful when holding things because my arm (especially the left, non-dominant one) will swing out on its own regardless of what I am holding at the time. I have learned NOT to hold the popcorn in the movie theater :-)  Seriously, I think it is more than the RLS or the PLMS because things like "the cold" wll set off the spasms in my legs (as when I am swimming). Also my index finger will pull forward down past my thumb (very painful) and/or my
2nd or 3rd toes will pull down and to the side away from the big toe in a tight spasm (extremely painful) and I actually need my husband's help to massage the area, usually by pulling th diget back in the opposite direction that it is spasming... until it releases. I don't know what it is... but I do know a little of what you are experiencing.
Maybe I described it wrong like my arms or legs do not move I just see my muscles jumping but my arm or leg do not physically move I have full control over body movement its just I can see my skin jumping so presume its a muscle doing that. Its scary anyone experience that.
Sounds like Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS), which is often times brought on by stress.  You should probably see a neuro just to confirm.  Have you had your thyroid levels checked?  I am 23 and have had muscle twitching for a little over a year now.  When my twitching began I was under a lot of stress and my thyroid was out of whack (hypothyroid - caused my cholesterol to be high as well.)  You might want to go to www.aboutbfs.com for more info on Benign Fasciculation Syndrome.  Good luck!
It sounds like BFS to me.  I have these for about 5 years, primarily in my calves.  Somedays are worse than others. Somedays I can actually see my calve muscles move.  Sometimes it is a slight vibration & it can't be seen.  Once in a while it will happen in another part of my body.  I have just learned to live with it.  It doesn't bother me much anymore.  But I agree, high anxiety & sleep deprivation (which was my problem) doesn't help the syndrome.

Good Luck.

Shamrock
I USED TO POST HERE I HAVE TWITCHES ALL OVER FOR 18 MONTHS CALVES HAVE GONE NONSTOP MOST OF THAT TIME. NORMAL EMG AND 3 EXAMS BY A NERVE AND MUSCLE SPECIALIST AND HE TOLD ME FROM THE START I DID NOT HAVE ALS. NO WEAKNESS AND NO OTHER SYMPTOMES THE WOLE TIME.
LOOK IN THE FORMER POSTS HERE AND YOU WILL GET SOME GREAT RESPONCES FROM THE DOCS, THIS NEW DOC DOES NOT SEAM TO WANT TO GO ON THE LINE MUCH WHEN IT COMES TO TWITCHING. THE OTHER OMES DID AND SAID MORE LIKE"FASCICULATIONS WITHOUT MUSCLE WEAKNESS IS ALWAYS NOT ALS"
"I HAVE NEVER SEEN A NORMAL EXAM AND EMG THAT TURNED OUT TO BE ALS"

GOOD LUCK

CONCRETE
Not sure why anyone jumps from BFS to ALS???  BFS is a fairly common occurance.  ALS occurs in 1/100th of 1 percent of the U.S. population.  It's needless worry really.
Hi everyone-
i was SO SUPRISED to read A LOT of these posts in the neurological section on muscle twitching, endocrine disorders, bizarre illnesses--- and none of the doctors responses suggested magnesium deficincy!!
not one that i saw!
this is such a common disorder. it is so treatable-- and i hate to see people waste years and time and money going to doctors and never finding the reason for their illnesses.
PLEASE-- if you have any muscle rigidity, tremors, twitching, ANXIETY, depression, AGITATION, mitral value prolpase, heart palpatations, panic attacks, asthma, restless legs, and more-- PLEASE DO A SEARCH FOR YOURSELF ON MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY. YOU WILL BE AMAZED.
you may even find yourself the answer you have been searching for for so long.
i cant go into all the important facts on this post-- so PLEASE READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ABOUT IT!!!!
some important points****
-you cant take a blood test for it-- its innaccurate-- will come out normal. you need intracellular measurements-- not blood tests!
-do not take magnesium supplements with calcium-- it interferes!
-slow-mag is magnesium chloride-- its a good over the counter supplement that favors better absorption (it has a small amount of calcium but not enough to interfere-- aviod calcium- mag combo supplements
-it is verysafe to take mag-- except in persons with kidney disease
-by taking it orally, it may take 2 weeks to get tissue levels back to normal and decrease your symptoms
- it is a very common deficiency and so widely OVERLOOKED!
- diuretics, caffeine increases magnesium loss-aviod these
-in severe cases you can get injections

it makes me so sad that A LOT of people will never realize this and never research or find this out-- and suffer for so many years.
please-- this is so overlooked-- and you are the only person that can find the right answers to your health-- a doctor will not do this extensive of research for you. you have to be the one to direct your doctor in answering your health concerns.
i hate when someone labels a medical disorder as a "syndrome"... that means they dont know!
there is ALWAYS an UNDERLYING REASON for a symptom.
things just dont happen for no reason.
it is up to you to find that reason-- and HOPE that you find a doctor open and caring enough to help you and run a lot of tests to find the underlying problem.
for example-- depression IS NOT A CONDITION! it is merely a symptom! WHAT is causing the chemical imbalance?? what chemical? if it is serotonin-- then WHY? most of the time it is endocrine in nature.
there are SO MANY neuroendocrine disorders that get overlooked and not treated by doctors because they simply do not know about them or have educated themselves about them.
one HUGE EXAMPLE is ADULT GROWTH HORMONE DEFICIENCY!
a lot of doctors dismiss this and refuse to beleive it exists! this is simply not true.
GH deficiency is bigger than most of us will ever realize in our lifetimes. It is a HUGE neuroendocrine disorder with MANY symptoms and many causes (autoimmune, LYMES, fibromyalgia, pituitary tumors, head trauma, radiation, ... etc)
many patients will never ever get help with this and never have a life because many doctors will not look into it.
let me give you the most important words of wisdom--- never give up on yourself-- seek until you find a competent doctor that will address your issues. leave immediately from those who will not consider completely checking you for all neuroendocrine disorders including growth hormone deficiency. be your own advocate.
help is out there-- you have to ask and search until you find the right person to help you that holds the medical knowledge.
try Universities and never stop inquiring and researching.
GH deficiency can have problems with mineral and magnesium absorption.
you could just simply have low magnesium in the tissues.

the only reason i listed this is that i want people that may have this to seriously look into it.

if anyone finding this post needs more info on GH deficiency-- please go to hgfound.org

for those of you without neuroendocrine issues and simply have twitching, anxiety, cramps, depression, etc--- please research magnesium all you can. try google.com

never give up--- there is an underlying reason to everything!
its just that a lot of doctors dont necessarily TRY to find it and just treat the SYMPTOMS with other unrelated pharmaceuticals. These meds may treat a symptom-- but its not what your body needs. find what it needs to the best of your ability.

i know-- i have found my way-- i had magnesium deficiency that got better after I figured it out and started taking slow-mag.
i also have growth hormone deficiency. i had to FIGHT long and hard for any doctor to take me seriously. i could have suffered my entire life NEEDLESSLY if i gave up.
Hi Dr Help,
-
Tell me about not using calcium when using magnesium.
What are you taking about.
I read everywhere that when one takes magnesium one has to take calcium too.
They 'work' together to make the muscles less tense.
What is your story?
-
Bye - *Ianna* -
Unless you constantly have diarrhea or are an alcoholic, there is no reason to take extra magnesium.  Magnesium is plentiful in foods and the idea that taking a vitamin or a mineral is going to change anyone's life around is pretty farfetched.  The bodies need for magnesium is easily met with a balanced diet.
tomy 7-- this is absolutely INCORRECT!
do you KNOW what low magnesium levels can do??
it "sounds" minor and farfectched--- but that is FAR from the truth.
do some research on magnesium.
get the facts.
low magnesium levels can cause HALLNUCIANTIONS, CONVULSIONS, ARRTHYMIAS...... do you find that minor??
did you KNOW that your body cant absorb magnesium very well and when it does-- any little factor can cause its excretion and loss???
do your research--- when you do you will see that it is one of the most common OVERLOOKED deficiencies.
its a shame you make a comment over something you know little about. this is the type of mentality that PREVENTS people from seeking answers and getting real help.
be more open minded-- it is more serious than you think.
when you research you will see that the average diet DOES NOT have much magnesium content-- especially the poor diets of American culture.
i went through low magnesium last year--- beleive me it was serious. I had tremors, twitches and tetney. i had nervous system induced panic attacks and heart arrythmias.
i also have a large science and medial background so i know a lot about physilology.
think about an electrical circuit---- the nervous system is the same way--- magnesium is one of the MAJOR ions involved in electrical conduction of the nervous system, heart, and muscles.
dont comment in this way about something you have never experienced or researched.
i am not trying to be mean-- i just dont want you to post wrong facts.
take care
tomy 7-
once again i found a flaw with your comment.
you WOULDNT take magnesium if you had "constant diarrhea".. excess magnesium CAUSES diarrhea!!
thats when you know you have taken too much magnesium, you will get soft stools and diarrhea.
you are right about the alcoholics part-- alcoholics loose more magnesium, so its good to supplement.
many people with neurological disease... ESPECIALLY twitches, tremors, anxeity, depression and more-- will benefit from magnesium supplementation.
it attaches to the SAME receptor and has the same actions as the widely prescribed neurological drug NEUROTIN!
HI Ianna-
some sources report that TOO MUCH calcium taken at the same TIME- can interfere w/ magnesium absorption. They compete for absorption and calcium usually wins.
Slow- mag the kind i take, does have a LITTLE calcium in it-- but not enough to interfere and enough ratio to help them work together.
it is recommended to take calcium and magnesium at different times if you are to take more calcium in a day. I take my calcium supplement at a different time. for people with a deficiency, definately need to take their magnesium separately or in a combo ratio like Slow-mag.
below is some literature from the web on the subject (different views on the absorption issue):
(remember, regular blood serum tests will be innacurate- it does not show a deficiency or low "intracellular" amounts)

Magnesium

Type

Mineral

Source

Wheat germ, wheat bran, brewer's yeast, nuts whole grains, brown rice, green leafy vegetables, honey, fish, fruits, figs, almonds, beans, pistachio nuts, sunflower seeds.

Dosage

300-1600mg daily.

Discussion

Magnesium is needed for healthy nerve and muscle tissue. It is responsible for more biochemical reactions in the body than any other mineral. It acts with calcium and phosphorus to ensure proper metabolism and with potassium to modify sodium levels. Magnesium is needed by every cell for synthesis of protein, utilization of fats and carbohydrates, and production of energy. It is used with B6 in many enzyme systems and to produce energy. * Magnesium is lost with excess sugar and caffeine intake. * Alcohol and sodium deplete magnesium. * Too much calcium blocks magnesium absorption/utilization. * Saturated fat blocks magnesium absorption and utilization. * Magnesium consumption decreases as we age. * 1 soda drink contains about 30mg of phosphate. Every mg of phosphate eliminates 1mg of magnesium from your body. Magnesium glycinate is magnesium chelated with glycine, which is a great carrier for magnesium. Its low molecular weight gives higher absorption and it does not require stomach acid to be absorbed. A magnesium deficiency is associated with low levels of calcium and potassium. Excessive amounts of magnesium can prevent calcium from being absorbed so some doctors recommend taking calcium and magnesium at different times. Other sources say that calcium and magnesium are absorbed differently and do not interfere with each other. Magnesium and B6 work together. B6 assures proper magnesium in red blood cells and magnesium activates dozens of B6 enzymes. You cannot metabolize C, D, phosphorus, sodium, and potassium without sufficient magnesium.

Deficiency Symptoms

It is thought that 20-80% of the population of the United States is deficient in magnesium. It is implicated in ischemic heart disease, angina, cardiac arrhythmia, hypertension, osteoporosis, diabetes, stroke, vascular-spasm and diabetes-caused vision problems. Magnesium is used with B6 in many enzyme systems and to produce energy. Many B6 deficiency symptoms are the same as magnesium - convulsions, tremors, kidney stones, and insomnia. Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms: * Tremors, muscle twitches and cramps, muscle weakness and pain * Palpitations, breathlessness * Insomnia, sensitivity to loud noises * Migraine or tension headaches * Nervousness, irritability * Mental and physical fatigue * Fearfulness, confusion, disorientation, poor concentration * Psychiatric disturbances, depression, schizophrenia, autism * Glandular disturbances * Poor circulation, constriction of blood vessels, high blood pressure, high LDL * Calcium deposits * Heart disease, chest pain * Poor complexion * Menopause-associated insomnia, infertility, premature birth * Abdominal pain, constipation * Feeling like your skin is crawling

Caution

* Magnesium should be used cautiously by patients with an impaired kidney function. * Taking over 3000mg may have laxative effect. * Taking over 5000mg may cause nausea, calcium/phosphorus imbalance. * If you get muscle cramps that you didn't have before taking magnesium, you may need less magnesium or more calcium. * The correct ratio of calcium to magnesium must be maintained. Generally, it is 2 times as much calcium as magnesium. For example, take 200mg calcium with 100mg magnesium. Women need a higher magnesium percentage, often equal to that of calcium. For example 200mg calcium/200mg of magnesium.

to tomy 7,
i am sorry about what i said about the diarrhea comment. i see where you were thinking here...... if you have chronic diarrhea, you loose excess nutrients, and thus more magnesium loss.
You are right about that if this was your thinking and i apoligize.

while this is correct, excess magnesium can CAUSE diarrhea. we are both correct.
You may be correct in that one sentence-- but it does not take away the fact that low magnesium is much more serious than you think.
most americans do not eat a balanced good diet.
if you read the small amount of material i listed above-- they think even up tyo 80% of americans do not eat enough magnesium and are deficient.
how many people do you know that do not drink sodas, tea or coffee and that strictly regularly (daily) eat fish, nuts, and green leafy raw vegetables?
not many.
i started to and it made all the difference.
I have read your post about "magnesium Deficiency" and wonder if my symptoms too are possibly a result of this deficency? I have had tetany, (fasiculations) over ALL parts of my body for years now almost as long as I have had "supposedly" developed an Arrythymia, specifically, PSVT, inappropriate Tachycardia as well, in addition to, PVC's that are ALL benign according to my cardiologist. I trust they at this point they may be benign since I have had intermitant episodes of them nearly "11 years " now. I have been taking "Tenormin" for the PSVT as well as the PVC's, however, in addition to still having periodic runs of PVC's I am definately adversely affected from the medication's side effects but am tolertaing them since they "do" supress the PSVT & Tachycardia, for the most part, as well as decrease the frequency of the PVC runs. At any rate, I have educated myself "substancially" about my Arrythmia(s)over the years and realize I have few options, thus, I opted to take the medication and I am still around after 11 years, besides, I am very reluctant to have an EP doctor stick catheters up my arteries or veins and create more dangerous rhythms,in hopes he will destroy any heart tissue that is causing my inconclusively diagnosed??? arrythmia. Anyway, It is just so coincidental that I happen to have restless leg syndrome, anxiety\panic disorder,and Tinnitus, that ALL "seemed" to have developed in proximity of one another. This is why I wonder can my problems be as "simple" as "magnesium deficiency". At the very least, could I rule this out as being my "real" problem. If it can't be determined from a CBC\bloodtest how can one find out if they are "truly" deficient? Lastly, I failed to mention that anytime I ingested alcohol over the years,it would trigger a  "steady" rapid heartbeat that lasted several hours or until it seemed like the alcohol was completely out of my system and if alcohol depletes magnesium from the body, could this be my problem for many of the symptoms I presented with?
WOW Dr. Help, too much of a good thing, even an opinion is
enough already. We know you like your magnesium. You get your
facts. Too much magnesium is BAD. Too little is BAD. Women should
take 1500 mg. calicium a day & no more than 350mg magnesium. The
magnesium helps to hold the calcium in bones to prevent Osteo.
problems. Your #'s are way off. And what binding receptor are
you referring to? Gaba-A, B, 5HT3? All this stuff over a simple
muscle-twitches question. This same debate happened when SAM-E
became avail. & even Dr. Weil pulled back on his Kava vs. Xanax.
Folks died from it. We're not Dr's. Reading your `handle' is a
little mis-leading. Magnesium does NOT have the same action as
Neurontin. Calm down w/ some peanut-butter & those that are
confused can read about it @ http://icare4u.com/Nu0011.htm or
google search "too much magnesium". Now let us all breath deep.
Hi eddies-
oh god-- it make me cringe reading your post.
i dont doubt you have low magnesium---- i feel so bad for you since the doctors didnt pick this up over 11 years.
I do not trust many doctors or the medical profession for this very reason. I had a brain tumor that went misdiagnosed for over 8 years! i could have died.
after that they tried to MASK all my symptoms with pharmeceuticals.
the body is really very simple. There could be many chemicals naturally in the body that are off or low-- when this happens-- a symptom arises.
but modern medicine likes to MASK those symptoms instead of trying to figure out the underlying problem.
example-have depression? take paxil. end of story. no trying to figure out what chemical is off in the body causing the depression.
Many doctors may also not be to willing to help you when you say you think a magnesium deficiency.
I had to find a doctor that was competent and open minded.
this deficiency is so overlooked and most doctors treat with pharmaceuticals because it is a vicious cycle of making $$$$ big bucks with the pharmaceutical companies.

a report on NPR radio stated that most doctors (77%) of them flunked questions on NUTRITION on tests and boards. not much nutrition is taught in med school. nutrition is everything to helath! its a backwards system.

Since it is innaccurate in a blood serum test-- they have to take intracellular or in cell/in tissue measurements. i am not sure how they do that? it might be a red blood cell test?
what i did - i didnt want to wait around for some doctor to help me-- since they never have--- i read it was safe to just take the magnesium.
after 1-2 weeks my symptoms got much better.
you know you are taking too much if you get soft stools. you must take it with caution only if you have kidney disease.
severe cases can get an injection in hospital of magnesium sulfate.

search magnesium deficiency on GOOGLE. i read over 90 hours of the information. you can too. :)

i think you are going to feel better than you have in the last 11 years. for that i am very happy for you. the years wasted is not funny, but i am glad you may have just stumbled on something that will improve your life.

oh-- and do you eat foods that are high in magnesium?? if not-- try doing that too. i did that while i started slow-mag and my helath has never been better. diet sources are always superior to pills.

very kind regards!
Dear demiguise
your post was uncalled for and unnecessary.
i am just trying to help people.
i am a doctor.
i have been misled by the medical profession in a serious misdiagnosis of a brain tumor.
many others are misled in many other areas and diagnoses.
what you are posting is vicious attacks and not meant to help anyone.
i do know that too much magnesium is bad. i never said to take too much. i just encourage those that may have a deficiency to do the research and reading and only take waht they may NEED. not in excess!
if anything i encourage a better diet to include magnesium rich foods.

you said "we know you like your magnesium... and your opinion"
its not my opinion-- these are medical facts. I dont "like" my magnesium as you put it degradingly... i dont even take it every day!

i am doing well and i have learned  alot  from my years of misdiagnosis and studies in medicine and science, and experiences with my own diseases- Some people dont even reach this point in their lifetimes.
I know the people reading these posts will find your comments as degrading and one thats serves no positive purpose. I know they will find mine helpful and positive in trying to get them answers they may need for their health and well being.
i am not on this forum for MY health-- i am here to help theirs. thats very commendable and caring of me.
What are you a doctor OF???  I noticed many mispellings of common medical terms in all your posts here.

Be careful what you advise people to do over the internet.  If you harm them, they can track you down and sue you.  ESPECIALLY if you are a doctor!
dear demiguise,
this is from NIH- gov
http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/magn.html#rda

"What is the health risk of too much magnesium?
Dietary magnesium does not pose a health risk, however very high doses of magnesium supplements, which may be added to laxatives, can promote adverse effects such as diarrhea. Magnesium toxicity is more often associated with kidney failure, when the kidney loses the ability to remove excess magnesium. Very large doses of laxatives also have been associated with magnesium toxicity, even with normal kidney function (38). The elderly are at risk of magnesium toxicity because kidney function declines with age and they are more likely to take magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids."
My post was necessary. You suggested up to 1600mg daily is safe.
You did not say `by food'. Your own posted URL reflects the
`health risks of too much magnesium supplementation'. Thank you
for adding another search site. If suggesting peanut butter is
too vicious for you, then I'm sorry.
Dear demiguise

i didnt suggest a dose of 1600 mg. The copied information from the web gave this range 300-1600 mg. I beleive the average for most persons is 350 mg women, 400 mg men.
i dont know what they suggest as far as that 1600 mg dose goes. probably individual specific for certain disorders?
i would hope most people would research and discuss the dose they were going to take with their doctors. My bottle of slow-mag gives a daily recommendation of  only 128 mg.
if someone decided to take 1600 mg i am sure they would be on the toliet all day with diarrhea!

i added another search site to illustrate the safety precautions when taking this mineral. Although it is a pretty safe supplement-- it should be used in caution w/ kidney disease.

This forum is not the place for us to go back and forth with liitle childish remarks and arguments. i am just here to help and give back to people that are suffering--- because i have been there--- and since i have found my way-- i would like to share it with others.
I read your past posts about your possible brain tumor......... we may have more in common than you think.
take care.
I like to thank everyone for there comments its good to know people take such an interest in there health and that they dont just reoly on doctors. My advice would be to anyone here to listen to what people say on the net and then talk to your doctor about it. Like I suffer from anxiety ,panic attacks and muscle twitches and I am gonna try magnesium supplements to see will it help if my doctor says its ok because also I am a diabetic and I dont want to destroy my kidneys by taking too much mageniusm.

Medicine is powerful and destructive use it wisely and listen to others.

Thanks for your advice and don't worry about that one idiot's post who feels he has to refute what your saying to people. You're merely passing on "your" experience and "opinnion" to us and "enlighting" those of us about somthing "obvious" and "simple" that we just may have missed, that's all!

I will "try" the slow-mag if I notice a difference or a decrease in symptoms, especially the frequent twitching, RLS and of course the still occasional yet alarming PVC's I get,   I'll continue to take the supplements. After all, it's my choice and even if I can decrease my dose of tenormin from 37mg. to 25mg, that's a plus to me since maybe that alone will alleviate some of the side affects associated with this beta-blocker it seems like I'm still forced to take.

Ps... I think after doing some research that there is a test referred to as an Magnesium "load test" or like you said "red blood test", that is supposedly more accurate than a serum MgD test.
Hi, I am so excited to read that I am not the only one who is experiencing these symptoms.  I am a 28 yr old pretty healhly female & have been having tons of these muscle twitches up & down my arms & legs for over a year now.  I have just recently started having a lot of tingling in my fingers, toes & head.  I also have shooting like pains in my legs & hips.  The pains come & go & are not too bad to deal with.  I just wondered if any of you had any advice for me.  I am not a stressed out or depressed person, so I don't think that could be a cause.  A co-worker of mine was recently diagnosed with MS, so I have been really worried about that.  This forum is making me think more positive though.  Thanks so much for any help you can give.
I have to share with you all the same symptoms.  Muscle twitches all over my body (mainly from my waist down), but I do get 25% of them in the upper body (arms, belly, back).  Sometimes they are a quick twitch, sometimes it will linger in one particular spot for 30-45 minutes, and I do find that sometimes by changing my position/posture, I can get it to stop.  I have an additional symptom of VOICE DISORDER that started in 1999.  My worries started there with Brain Tumor or Throat Cancer.  Final diagnosis after 1.5 years was Spasmodic Dysphonia - diagnosed by a Speech Pathologist.  Then 2 years ago I had numbness and tingling in my legs and weakness - and they found a l4/l5 herniated disc (that nobody will operate on).  They say the numbness and tingling in the hands is either from a slight case of TMJ, and/or metacarpal tunnel syndrome.  About 1 year ago (2002) is when the twitching ("fasiculations")that you can sometimes visually see - and you can definately feel - started.  They are driving me nuts (literally).   And that feeling sombody described about feeling like you were having a wierd feeling under your skin of your body being "buzzed or trembling" (especially in my calves).  I have started to take an anti-anxiety medicine because I have 2 little kids that I have to take care of, and being worried and anxious all the time isn't good for any of us.  So, I agreed to try the medication while I work through the medical issue.  My neurologist did a full Brain MRI/Spinal Cord too, and they said it looks PERFECT except for the herniated disc (l4/l5) with some nerve damage.  This doctor (best in the area) said NO M.S., and a 2nd neurologist I got to said NO M.S., or Parkinson's, or Lou Geregg's.  Despite those words of wisdom from this well known doctors in my area, I'm terrified I have ALS; can't get it out of my head.  So, as some of you are, I'm realieved to hear that others have these symptoms too with a diagnosis less than something as serious as ALS.  My physical therapists said I'm more likely to win the lottory than have ALS.  I did have thyroid checked, and it's perfect.  I was actually disappointed to hear that because I thought could be the EASY ANSWER.  NOT!  So, I'm taking Xanax to control the terrible consuming thoughts I have; since my visit to the doctors 2 months ago said my clinical exam looked great.  Hard to believe when you feel like **** though - isn't it?   Does anybody know the appropriate TESTS that a Neurologist should take to check on patients that have tingling/numbness/muscle fasiculations?  I've had multiple BRAIN and SPINE MRI's over the past 2 years.  Anybody wanna talk to me one on one with this, please let me know your email.
hi, i would love to chat sometime.  it sounds like we might have a lot in common.  my email is ***@****.  i have one small child at home & understand the stress of that! :) i have not yet sought help about these problems yet, i just don't want the doctors to blow me off so i am trying to be more informed for when i do go.  chat with you later! paige
Hi -

I just wanted to give another piece of info.  I am a 26-year old female with no prior medical troubles and started expierencing muscle spasams/twitching, all over my body, back in the middle of June.  I am 5'2", 100 lbs., great shape, etc.  I have been so scared about it all that I went and saw my GP twice, both times to have it dismissed.  I had myself so convinced of ALS or some other horrible disease that I went and saw a Neurologist.  She did the full exam, ran blood work, etc. and found my ANA to be positive, which could signal an auto-immune disorder and referred me to a Rheumatologist and also found a small lesion on my brain from the MRI.  She says the lesion and the twitching are not related.  She is evaluting me further for MS, but is doubtful I have that because I don't have any symtoms (symptoms).  In the meantime, she took me off Wellbutrin, as a side-effect of that drug can be twitching, although I hadn't expierenced any since being on it for 9 months.  I saw the Rheumatologist today and he says that he thinks my twitching is from my asthma medication!  I have been using Albuterol (inhaler) and he says it's only meant to be used once a week at most, where I've been using it two to three times a day.  I was put on Zoloft for my anxiety a few weeks back to replace the Wellbutrin, and noticed that my stress was helped tremendously.  Having less stress, meant less asthma problems, and so I have not been taking my inhaler as often as I was and my twitches are very minimal now. Just wanted to share, I thought it was interesting.  I'm still a little nervous about it, but both my Neurologist and the Rheumatologist say that my strength is excellent, better than most, and that the twitching is nothing to worry about.  It's now been about 2 months since it all started and seeing this website and all of this e-mail thread has made me feel so much better.  Thank you to all of you for sharing.
After reading all of your comments, I am so glad to hear about all of you. I have been experiencing alot of the same symptoms. Muscle twitches,legs ache & feel like they can't go the distance,funny feelings like "inside tingles" especially in legs,hands falling asleep,fatigue at times extreme. I have been experiencing muscle twiches & hands tingling for more than 1.5 years. All seem to have worsen in last six months or so. I have spoken to my family doctor who has sent me to a neurologist & I have an MRI scheduled in a few days. I am afraid but am more anxious for answers. Seems that it may not provide me with what I seek after reading all of your comments.It does help to know that you are all out there as it reasures me that I am not losing my mind.I too have read about Magnesium & have considered it but I did not know how much to take. If anyone is qualified to direct me with dosage I would very much like to hear from you as well as anyone else with insight.Here's wishing me luck!
I also have been twitching for about 3 weeks now.. I'm like a lot of people.. I tend to think the worst..  The twitching started in my left eye, and has now hit every muscle in my body.  I don't really notice the twitching during the day, but when I lay down at night is when I really notice the twitching, especially in my calve area.  I don't want to go to the doc, because I don't want to hear any bad news.. I'm not experiencing any other symptoms.. However, I'm always waiting for the next symptom.. This is something I think about all day long. I know this can be caused by stress, and I am under a lot of stress right now..   My husband, our 2 kids and I have been living with my parents for the last 5 months, and we are in the process of building a house.. Any input would be great.. thanks..
For LoveMyKids -

I've been doing a lot of research on magnesium defiency in the past few weeks because I started twitching all over about a month ago.  One of the things I read with interest was that voice spasms could be related to magnesium defiency -  and the twitching, and the nervousness, the insomnia, and the fatigue, and the depression, and an eyeopening list of other unsolved problems which I've had for years. Do a search on "symptoms of magnesium deficiency" -  there is a lot of info out there.

www.krispin.com/magnes.html
www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/magn.html
www.healthy.net
- look for the "Magnesium" article by Elson M. Haas M.D.
- also there: "Magnesium: The Stress Reliever" by Leo Galland M.D.

----

Here's a definition that mentions voice problems (http://www.kemc.edu/m.html)

Magnesium deficiency: Can occur due to inadequate intake or impaired intestinal absorption of magnesium. Low magnesium (hypomagnesemia) is often associated with low calcium (hypocalcemia) and low potassium (hypokalemia). Deficiency of magnesium causes increased irritability of the nervous system with tetany (spasms of the hands and feet, muscular twitching and cramps, spasm of the larynx, etc.). According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Recommended Dietary Allowances of magnesium are 420 milligrams per day for men and 320 milligrams per day for women. The upper limit of magnesium as supplements is 350 milligrams daily, in addition to the magnesium from food and water.

----

My whole nervous system has gone out of whack in the last month and I haven't been able to get any help.  But every symptom I have matches magnesium deficiency.  I think traditional medicine thinks of magnesium deficiency as a set of very serious symptoms that occur when your blood serum magnesium is measurably low. But I think there's an under-the-radar level of magnesium defiency that causes these other symptoms that everyone wants to write off due to nervousness.  But I'm not twitching due to nervousness.  I think I'm nervous due to magnesium deficiency and I'm twitching because it's gotten so bad my body is trying to tell me something.

Anyway, I'm now taking Magnesium glycinate, which just arrived.  (VitaminShoppe.com, Vital Life, Magnesium Complex).  We'll see how I feel in a few weeks.  For $15.00, it's worth a try.

Wish I could just...

~snooze

I have muscles twitching, small involuntary arms or leg movements.  I read your posts on magnesium deficiency and that alleviated the incredible fear I had of having something very serious. I went to the doctor who sent me to the neurologist who prescribed Magnesium (600 mg a day). After 2 months the symptoms are a little better. I also started having a sudden leg or body jerk that wakes me up when I am trying to sleep. The neurologist added a PLMS diagnosis. (before was just BFS maybe caused by muscle inflammation that I may have had this summer).
I was prescribed a new medication that contains a protein and is used for Parkinson patients (sorry can
Kristina1 -

What kind of magnesium?  Some types are not very absorbable (expecially magnesium oxide).  For more info on magnesium, check out the magnesium archives at www.askwaltstoll.com .

Based on the information there, I'm taking Magnesium Glycinate.  The amount/strength of twitching has really reduced and my other symptoms (nervous system hyperexcitability) are a whole lot better, but still have a ways to go.  I've only been taking the magnesium gyclinate for about two weeks.

~snooze
Hi, lanna.  Yes you are right about having to have both but you also need Vit "D" as well.  The ones you get from the stores will not have the right combination.  You need calcium, magnesium, silicon, and vit D.  I have more info if you want. I have been taking this combination for the last 4 years. I had a bone density test done 6 months before I started the vits. I had Osteopenia and Osteoporosis.  Then 6 months after that I had another bone density test and it impoved by 20% and now I will be getting one again next year and I can't wait to see what this report tells me.  My Doctor told me to keep taking them as it's working.  So there your are.  You can email me for more info at
***@****
Your posts have been verY informative.  Thank you!  My mother was recent diagnosed with cancer, and that sent my stress right through the roof.  Since then, I've been twitching like crazy all over the place.  As soon as the twitching starts, my anxiety would kick in high gear.  When I am in bed, my heart also start racing.  Ive also been taking TylPM just to get some sleep.  My dr wants me on Xanax, but I refused.  I've been taking b12, but I hadn't realized that I wasn't suppose to take it with calcium, now I know.  Well, you've been helpful, to me with easing my paranoid mind due to anxiety.  I was thinking of the worst for my twitching, like huntington.  I just wish it would stop, today!  Thanks again!
I am a young male 24 years old from UK, I have had excessive muscular spasms for around a year or so, like most of you people on the forum the symptoms that you have experienced/experiencing are mirroring what I am feeling. To think it really scares me I don't know what to do, I don't get much sleep as it is, the time now as I write this post is 4am GMT on my Blackberry. I get little spasms in my legs, calves, arms, I wake up some nights and can't feel my whole arm which freaks me out! Like there is nothing there I don't know if its just the way I sleep or what.. I'm always cracking my neck not purposely just that it stiffens up and have to push my head to the left cracking it to loosen it and make it physically feel better, In the day sometimes I get numbness in my fingers, cramps in my toes maybe, but I think nothing of it, but now I really feel like crap and don't know what to do. iv had a hell of a lot stress over the years education wise falling out of university and so on, also family worries. I'm not in the best of physical conditions but try various activities.

I have not yet seeked any medical attention regarding my symptoms, now I really feel like I need to, it keeps me awake till silly o'clock in the morning until I'm to tired to even think about it any more :( I'm a pretty big lad 6'3" 15.5st, I smoke and drink occasionally but not an alcoholic.. I'm scared to think that I am ill.. Can anyone help me.... really!

Thanks for your time,

K.S.S
I am a young male 24 years old from UK, I have had excessive muscular spasms for around a year or so, like most of you people on the forum the symptoms that you have experienced/experiencing are mirroring what I am feeling. To think it really scares me I don't know what to do, I don't get much sleep as it is, the time now as I write this post is 4am GMT on my Blackberry. I get head aches various parts of my head, little spasms in my legs, calves, arms, I wake up some nights and can't feel my whole arm which freaks me out! Like there is nothing there I don't know if its just the way I sleep or what.. I'm always cracking my neck not purposely just that it stiffens up and have to push my head to the left cracking it to loosen it and make it physically feel better, In the day sometimes I get numbness in my fingers, cramps in my toes maybe, but I think nothing of it, but now I really feel like crap and don't know what to do. iv had a hell of a lot stress over the years education wise falling out of university and so on, also family worries. I'm not in the best of physical conditions but try various activities.

Thanks for your time,

K.S.S
Don't despair. I've had muscle twitching, tingling in extremities, and also numbness in hands, arms while sleeping. Started very gradually about 9 months ago and didn't get bad til about 3 months ago. Getting adjustment from my chiropractor helped the hands from falling asleep. But twitching  has gotten worse so went to my doc who ordered many blood tests (only sl low Vit D) so taking supplement. Now am in process seeing neurologist. Next week get EMG to test muscles and nerves in legs/feet where it's worst. I was very scared thinking it's a terrible disease, but after reading many posts see it may be benign. Still--drives me nuts. So started taking 250mg magnesium oxide 2x a day. Been about one week and that has helped reduce tingling and twitched. Also trying GABA 500mg at night which definitely helps reduce the symptoms but makes me very tired all day!  So don't know if I can continue that. I probably have anxiety too but want to avoid going on prescription medicine for that if possible (afraid of side effects ). Good luck. You may have to cut out the ciggies and any caffiene--stimulants are bad for twitching.
A related discussion, muscle twitching all over was started.
A related discussion, Spasms? was started.
Good luck i suffer the same u all im going to neurologist next week i want to have a mri and other tests cause all doctors r eggs;
Pin point it to anxiety i know its not. ....
I read up on natropaths a new formula vitamin B1 is being released for nerves and our symptons im going to try it wish me luck
Please look it up on google its www.McVitamins
its a new neuropathy medication no side affects worth a try...
A related discussion, magnesium deficiency was started.