Neurology Expert Forum
Muscle Twitches (Fasciculations?) In Right Arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been browsing your forum and find some things that are worrisome to me.

I have had muscle twitches IN THE SAME SPOT on my right arm (my weak side) about five inches above the elbow for about a month now. They come and go each day it seems...they started two days after going on Paxil and Xanax for anxiety (prescribed by my doctor). I went off the Paxil two weeks ago partly because of this, and partly because I was getting wierd burning sensations in my body. I did stay on the Xanax (taking about 11 .25 pills in sporadically in the one-month period), and I read somewhere where these can cause muscle twitches.

So I tried cold-turkey off the Xanax...not taking any since last Sunday. I felt pretty good that I could not see or feel any twitches yesterday from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. (18 hours), but then they kicked in for about three hours last night, keeping me awake.

I am scared to death of this. I am concerned to because it appears to be confined to the one area, and I read somewhere here where that is where ALS starts, in one specific area (or muscle group).

I can not find any weakness in myself whatsoever, however there has been some muscle stiffness in the same area. I do push-ups (20 a day) to determine if there is weakness there, but haven't found any.

There have been sporadic muscle twitches elsewhere in the body during this time, but nothing that is as persistent as this. Also, I have had sporadic muscle twitches in the LEFT ARM in the same are three times during this time period, but nothing that persists like my right arm.

Please help!
These could represent side effects of medications, thyroid disease, or a twitching syndrome called BFS or benign fasciculation syndrome which can be exaggerated with physical exertion/exercise. The symptoms you describe are not typical presentations for ALS, but keep in mind I have not personally examined you.  If the symptoms persist or become worse, consider getting a neuro referral for a formal neurological exam. The neuro doc will be able to evaluate you for any signs of weakness or twitching and will order any appropriate tests (as needed)such as an EMG to help with the diagnosis. Good luck.
I have been diognosed with  fibromialgia (fibromyalgia),  and then went to a chiroprator  that said  my neck and back are so bad that  they are not supprised my pain is from this  not the fibro, my arm twitches and has a burning feeling to it daily   the tingling and  burning feelings exsisted long before it led up to the twitching of my left arm, I feel pain in my arms and legs  both sides but never the twitching until i started getting poped by the chiroprator should i be concerned that my problems are getting worse each day i see them , i do not get better it only gets worse. what should i do?