Neurology Community
Muscle Twitching around the body, ALS?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle Twitching around the body, ALS?

Dear doctor,

about 20 days ago, i started had muscle twitching around my body, it can happened any part of my body. leg, hand, body, face (mostly on my leg)

from the beginning it is frequent and it can twitch the whole day, and than it gets better but now it come back again which twitch once in a while(a few minutes).

i never had muscle twitching like this before in my life, i am 24 years old male. Occasionally eye twitching, muscle twitching yes but not like this in my whole body

to my situation, exactly 3 days before i had this muscle twitching, i had a great anxiety of myself infected by HIV.
which unlikely for now after explaination from the HIV expert( i am still waiting for my window period to get tested)

i had other symptoms such as, nausea, light headed, fatigue, some low grade (fever 99'F +-)

my question:
1.) can i assume this is caused by anxiety?

2.) for ALS, muscle twitching dont happened randomly in any part of the body right?

3.) ALS is more likely on twitching in a same muslce part ?

4.) can i rule out the possibility of getting ALS

i am worried and hope to head some wisdom words or feed back.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

best wishes
LoveCures.

Please relax. Your symptoms are not suggestive of ALS. The most likely cause for the generalized muscle twitching seems to be excessive anxiety due to the possible HIV infection.
In ALS the initial symptoms include muscle weakness followed by muscle twitching and fasciculation which affects one group of muscles. Since you have generalized twitching ALS is not a possibility in your case.
Make sure to maintain your fluid and electrolyte intake and do some deep breathing exercises to relax yourself.

Take care!

thanks doctor,

seeing your reply had comfort me alot, i must say that i am living at the worst time of my life in anxiety. It is great that i can rule out the ALS

i keep this thread posted about my latest update

thanks doctor,
i appreciated that, i dont know what else i can do other than saying a Sincere thanks

best wishes,
LoveCures
just a small question.

ALS is always with muscle weakness right?

how can i check do i have muscle weakness? or it is so obvious if muscle weakness happens that is for sure i will notice myself?

Yes muscle weakness will manifest as weakness that you will be easily be able to notice while doing your day to day activities. Inability to lift, perform activities like walking, running etc is some of the symptoms of muscle weakness.

Hope this answers your question.
okie, i got it
thanks doctor.

best wishes
lovecures
dear doctor,

currently my twitches is getting less frequent,

but i constantly feeling that my limbs are fatigue and muscle pain from tiredness (like you worked out)
mostly in the bisep and trisep
like my hand is no energy.

its been 6 days now..

can this anxiety related? or some kind of neuro disorder?

thanks
lovecures
This is so suggestive of anxiety!!!I am also a medical student. I suffered extensive muscle twitches from head to toe which I instantly focused on and thought that I had the worst possible diagnosis ever, ALS. I was so convinced, I had numerous appointments with my GP, MRI and CT scans and all were negative. The diagnosis was Benign Fasiculation Syndrome (apparently more common in medical students), which I experience daily but I know it's totally benign. There is a huge element of anxiety and stress that partakes in these symptoms because once you've got ALS in your mind, it instantly causes anxiety and of course anxiety symptoms. There are a multitude of other diagnoses this could be. But please take my advice, do not focus and worry until you've heard from the horses mouth.