Neurology Community
Muscle loss left hand; correction for

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle loss left hand; correction for

Have been told I have severe nerve damage to my left hand, Have not been told how I aquired it. My problem began after I had a Rotor Cup repair to Rt. Shoulder. Several weeks later noticed my left hand was having some sort of problem. Asked about it and was told it was coming from my neck. Three months later had no use of my left hand. Received an injection in back of neck and now have permenate tingling in hand,Will it be possible to regain use of my left hand? I Am left handed.

This discussion is related to loss of muscle mass and pain in hands and arms.

Thanks for writing in.
T is difficult to give a clinical opinion without an exam. It is important to find out the cause of muscle loss and nerve damage. If it is suspected to be due to nerve compression in the neck an X ray or CT scan of the neck should be done.
It is also possible that you sustained a nerve injury during rotator cuff tear. This requires further evaluation.
Please get it done and keep us posted!
Had Rotator Cuff Surgery in Aug 08 on my right Shoulder; following that had several absecissions. During this time noticed something occurring with my LEFT Hand. Was told this was coming from my neck. I kept reporting increasing problems with my hand and was told it was coming from my neck. Finally in Nov 08 a nerve in my left elbow was uncramped. Still had and have tingling in the entire hand.On 9 Jan 09 was given a Epidurmic Injection which stopped the pain in both wrists. Am undergoing theropy on left hand but the tingling remains and at night pain increases in hand and the indentation above the thumb increases in depth. I am left handed and really impaired without the use of this hand.
Have been told I have severe nerve damage but never the cause of this happening. I think the three months delay in treating my hand could possibly be the cause of this afflection.
I started haveing severe pain in my left elbow about 3 yrs ago and it kept progressing. Then i noticed i had lost muscle in my left hand and i went to the Dr. I was refered to a neurologist who then ran many test and it took a year and a half to come to a diagnosis, which was therastic outlet syndrome. I had a surgery done to fix my problem but still have muscle loss and no use in the left hand any advice?