Neurology Community
Muscle twitching all over

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle twitching all over

To help you better understand what is going on I will give you a timeline of my symptoms.

Mid november - leg went entirely numb for one night - could still control movements, just couldn't feel sensations
Week of March 12th, 2012 - unusual twitches all over legs after workouts/3mile walks. Ignored.
Week of March 19th - noticed muscle twitching, limb jerks at night only
Week of March 26th - twiches all over body. face, feet, legs, butt, vagina, mouth, hands, ribs, chest, abs. Roughly 20 an hour
Week of March 26th also: burning pain in left knee and quad muscles ONLY when my leg is not in use. No discomfort while on my feet. Also accompanied by twitches
*I had a visit with my primary care physician(March 22?), she did a TON of blood work - everything was normal.. lupus, lymes.. electrolytes. Told me to supplement and try to work out less. So I did. But it didn't lessen symptoms.

I have new symptoms now.. Weird "pins and needles" in my extremities.. also my legs sometimes feel as thought they are in a tourniquet.  The weirdest part of this is that my legs do not feel odd when I am standing on them or walking.. Only at rest do I experience these things.

I am a very healthy person, no anxiety - very happy.. but these symptoms have me so worried. I have googled things like MS and ALS and I am so scared! I also have no muscle weakness or atrophy.No recent infections, not aware of any heavy metal poisoning. This twitching and pain in my knee/quads has got me going insane! I have an appointment with a neurologist on Monday.. but from reading others posts about this.. it seems like I won't be getting an answer to my problem for a very long time. Should I have a lp? MRI with or without contrast? EMG? What do you all think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Muscle twitching like this is a symptom of low magnesium.
The numbness and the pins and needles sensation may be paresthesia, and is also a symptom of low magnesium.

Your doctor will be happy to do a blood test for this, but it shows the level of magnesium in the blood, not in the muscles and nerves.
It is simpler and less expensive to take supplemental magnesium and watch to see which symptoms improve.

Magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed, but it is cheap and often used in multiple vitamins.
However, it is pretty bulky, so they can't put much in one tablet with the other vitamins and minerals.
Look at the list of ingredients, for magnesium glycinate,  taurate, or malate, which are better absorbed.
Magnesium citrate is okay too, in small quantities.
There is a powdered form that you mix with hot water, the brand is Peter Gillham's Calm.

Eat foods high in magnesium:
almonds, almond butter
dark chocolate
beans, kidney beans, baked beans, bean soup, bean burritos

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Try this, and let me know how you're doing.
Carol

Thanks Carol, I have been taking magnesium since the 22nd of March, along with other things. I have had no improvement.. Things have actually gotten worse.
Hmm, almost three weeks on magnesium, but still not improving.
Which kind of magnesium are you taking, look at the list of ingredients.
You may need to ramp up to a larger amount, in divided doses to help absorption.
The body has difficulty absorbing it, especially when the level is so low.
Have you read the article, do you have other symptoms of low mag?

Read some of the reviews for this book.

The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean
http://www.amazon.com/The-Magnesium-Miracle-Carolyn-Dean/dp/034549458X/

Have your symptoms subsided?  I am experiencing the same symptoms, twitching all over for the past several months. Thus far all my test have been normal as has my MRI.  I recently had surgery and since then the twitching and muscle aches (new problem) have gotten so much worse, I wonder if twitching maybe related to surgery.  Like you I am not stressed out; well maybe alittle, we are nurses. Not a very stressfree career.  I look forward to your response.
I am in the same boat as you.  I had blood tests and an mri of the brain done too.  However no one has yet take even a simple xray of my spine.  I swear to god this is connected to my spine in some way.  I am seeing a physical therapist now but no help with my leg spasms as of yet.  I had a neurologist tell me he thought it was mental the moment i walked into his office.  He can **** up a rope.  Everyone has stress,  this is not stress related,  this is physical.
sorry that was to the OP not you :)
Hi guys I know this is old but..... I had all these symptoms and I was told I had a B12 deficiency I had a course of injections and it increased my b12 which meant my symptoms went... Def suggest you go doctors as its so easily fixed however if left untreated too long it can be irreversible
Just wondering if the issues were ever solved for you, as I am going through the same thing, and I am freaking out. My calves twitch non stop, that's where it started, now its everywhere. Temples, down to my feet, I am going nuts. I had an EMG which came back normal, along with endless blood work for everything under the sun. However, I am still able to lift heavy things and like you when I am in motion everything is fine, the moment I try to sit down or sleep my legs mainly, but my arms have started too act up, but my legs go crazy.
I have been having twitching from head to toe... Different spots through out the day. It like jumps all around. Stress makes it worse. I feel so tight all over. I been told that I have tmj and fibromyalgia. I am 27 and a mom of 4 girls. I had an MRI and cat scans. Came back nornal. I am having an EMG the 7th of this month. I am so terrified its ALS. I still walks and talk and swallow fine. I feel a little weak but I am tense from bad anxiety and I guess the fibromyalgia. I also time to time get this odd burning sensation on one part of my head. I fee like I'm the only one and my husband shrugs it off. I had blood work done and my magnesium is fine according to that. I'm not sure what to do! Anyone can please help me I'd appreciate it so much.
Sorry for all the spelling errors. I been on google daily searching for anything to set my mind at ease. I have this horrible fear its AlS and I'm going to die and leave my kids. The symptoms I deal with
Muscle twitching all over face through out body
Dizzy sometimes
Body aches and pains
Heas aches
Hot sensations on head
Tingling on head sometimes
Pressure in my bridge if my nose
Sometimes my tongue feels weird like almost a light cramp sensation
The list goes on and on. If this is all anxiety I am calling the patted room on my self. I have had so many tests done I am so sick of living in fear. This is no quality of life. I mine as well be dead or dying cuz it sure feels it. :(
I feel the same way with same symptoms. This terror of going through the unknown lengthy diagnosis process is such a hard mental place to be. And I'm embarrassed in public with twitching and shaking. But. I'm refusing to isolate because nothing gets healthy in isolation. I'm finding a lot of love in the process when I'm vulnerable with others. That's the beautiful side of grief. I hope you have that and if not you seek it.