Neurology Community
Muscle twitching and tremor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle twitching and tremor

Real worried again...

I have been twitching for 10mos straight. Started in my right calf then a couple of day's later started getting them all over. They have since calmed down a bit in the calf area but still continue. They are now all over my body... no muscle is safe! I have also had this slight vibration/tremor of my jaw when I put my teeth together. I also have some tightness in my right calf muscle you can really feel the difference when you stretch between the left/right muscle. I feel as if my life is slipping from me. I am almost certain I have a horrible disease and that my time is short.
I have been to countless doctors/neuros/mental docs. I even went to a Al* clinic where the doctor told me straight up I didnt have it. They all told me I didnt need an EMG.

On the brighter side of this... I can still workout, run, talk, eat normally. I just think that the twitching can not be benign as they say. I feel totally lost and I don't think I can hold out much longer. Is there anyone who can help?
Listen, you need to get a hold of yourself. All over muscle twitching is quite common. I've had it badly for three years everywhere including my tongue but that's all it is is twitching. Since you can't accept the fact that nothing is seriously wrong with you, you should insist on an EMG if you think that will make you finally forget about it. I'm here to tell you that it will all come to nothing and you'll have waisted countless hours focusing on something completely benign. Go to aboutbfs.org for a full explanation. This is most likely what you have - a minor annoyance. I got the EMG done because like you, despite the doctors reassurances I could not calm myself down and had to be put on Paxil. I was completely sure I had ALS, but it was NOTHING. The twitching may seem really weird to you, but it signifies nothing serious. Concentrate on BIGGER problems :)
but do you have a tremor and muscle tightness in your calf? I also have had horrible gastro problems that have started with the twitching. I hate to sound like a freakout but thats how I feel lately totally lost.

I've been on aboutbfs for awhile now... seems everyone on that site has it come and go. MINE our constant relentless. You can check out my postings my username is zny or nyz something like that.

Sorry if I'm freaking out... just looking for some type of answers. Shyt is ruining my marriage, life, work EVERYTING!
I get cramping in different areas but that's all part of this BFS from what I've read. Could be that the gastro problems are caused by all of this worrying and stress and be completely unrelated to the twitching. I mean, I have other problems like migraines and pvc's but they are separate issues, you know? Seriously, it would not hurt to go on Zoloft temporarily until you can get enough information to prove to yourself that you don't have ALS. This is what I did. Sometimes you need some help getting through a particularly anxious time especially if it is hurting your relationships. As far as the twitching being relentless, I get them almost constantly at times and other times they are here and there but I always have them. Just different degrees of severity. Also, I get hot spots sometimes where one area will twitch for days and be very noticable. Also nothing to worry about. Twitching is only associated with weakness and atrophy which you don't have. But why not just get an EMG and save yourself all this worrying? Insist on it. I'm not sure what you mean by tremor but that could be part of BFS too, not sure.

thx pvc's for the comments... when you went for your neuro eval... did they actually see the twitching? what did they say about it? The guy I met with at the clinic was almost yelling at me stating that in all his years of working with ppl that have it he is certain I would have shown some weakness during his exam. Why do I find it so hard to beleive him.
Hi, you were talking about bfs, from what I read on the aboutbfs website, they can include buzzing, tingling and other odd sensations, do you have any of these with your twitching?  Can you still have these symptoms with bfs and not have the twitching?  Just wondering, because sometimes with all my other odd sensations I gt twitching.  Thanks a million!!!!

No, the neuro did not notice twitching at the evaluation. My reflex was a little brisk but that was about the only finding. The only reason he agreed to do the EMG is because months had gone by and there was no improvement and he said I should just do it for peace of mind so I could forget about it. At that point I was pretty much okay with it thanks to the Paxil. You find it hard to believe your doctor because you are thinking that this is some very weird, bizarre thing and surely it must be something terrible - it's not. As you can see from this board, it's quite common. We all have or have had the same concerns about it. It's like you read all the symptoms of ALS but all you see is TWITCHING, but the twitching on it's own is nothing. I get headaches and headaches are a symptom of brain tumors - along with visual disturbances, dizziness etc... but headaches alone are just headaches. Save yourself alot of worry and either a) go on an antidepressant short term for anxiety until enough time passes where you finally realize "hey this is not progressing into anything dire, or b) get an EMG. Go have some fun, you are fine :)
You are an angel.  I hope your comments help this person as much as they helped me.  On my way to becoming "Calm Guy," I hope.  Happy holiday.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Glad you are feeling better about this :)
Dude,
You have sciatica caused from a slipped disc also referred to as a herniated disc. I have the same symptoms that you have exactly, my left testicle feels like its going to explode when im in certain positions. Look up sciatic nerve..