Neurology Community
Muscle twitching only while sleeping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle twitching only while sleeping

For the past 8 months I have been experiencing muscle twitching throughout my whole body while sleeping.  It is becoming very disruptive to my sleeping as well as to my partners.  I have been diagnosed with a seizure disorder and am taking 200 mg of Topomax (topamax) per day.  My recent blood test have shown a low B-6 level so I started taking supplements.  Also, I am waiting for the results of an overnight eeg.  Is there anything that can be done to control these twitchings?  I really need to get a good night's rest soon.  I am afraid that if I don't that it could cause me to have a seizure which is something I definitely don't want to happen since I have been seizure free for a year and a half now.  Does anyone have any answers/advice?
Oh, sure, you could have them either increase the dose of Topamax you're taking, or you could take one of the older seizure medications, like Phenobarbital.  In addition to that, they could add in a mild opiate-derivative medication, might help with the sleep if you take it about an hour before bedtime.  In the meantime, consider getting the two-mattress bed or sleeping separately in the same room.

As for the low B-6 level, while some medications can cause that, including birth control pills, could also be some faulty metabolic process is goofing up your absorption of some vitamins and minerals.  So, an internal medicine doctor might can do a workup on you regarding the defiency and see if anything out of the ordinary is causing that, you know, get to the root of that problem if one exists.

Lastly, at some point in your daily routine, exercise and then complete relaxation will help untangle your wrenched up muscles.  Also, I have stressed-out muscles, and professional massage therapy is fantastic for unwinding a knotted-up body.  
Hi, phachick. Did your tests include checking the ferritin levels, folic acid and vitamin D levels? Did anybody suggest a sleep study to see if you have sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome. My husand has hyperspacticity in his legs due to a syrinx. He had a sleep study to check for sleep apnea (as he was always feeling tired upon arising in the morning and complaining of poor sleep). His sleep doctor (after looking at his readings) was convinced he had a ferritin deficiency consistent with restless legs. His level turned out to be normal. I have had 2 sleep studies for my fibromyalgia and when my rheumatologist checked, my folates and ferritin levels were low (as was the vitamin D and B12). While my sleep studies were done a few years ago and did show sleep disorder, these findings are new and I have noticed some twitching (especially in my hips/legs) that occasionally will cause my whole body to jerk up from the bed when I go into sleep. I am taking supplements under the direction of my rheumatologist who will be rechecking the levels.
I would get a sleep study done with an MRI. After that they could tell if you are having nocturnal seizures. And then they could determine which medication to prescribe. There are many new options regarding anticonvulsants that are safe and effective and have less side effects than some older treatments and you could ask your neurologist which one is right for you to have complete control over seizures.