NEUROLOGY
FORUM
Muscle weakness, joint pain, breathing problem and numbness on toes
by Helen1967, May 14, 2006
Hi, I
Answer:
by CCF-Neuro-M.D.-PW, May 23, 2006
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet unfortunately as this site is purely educational

Without the benefit of the physical exam it is hard to know whether there is objective clinical musclw weakness or not, which is important in the diagnosis. There are some neurological disorders that involve attacks of muscle weakness with normal strength in between like periodic paralysis or myesthenia gravis. Chronic weakness, which may be asymmetric and assocaited with minor sensry symptoms could suggest CIDP (chroiuc inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy). Analysis of spinal fluid is important in the diagnosis and may show an elevated protein level. EMG may also suggest the diagnosis, otherwise the diagnosis is clinical. There are some anti-body tests that are sometimes helpful (anti-MAG antibody) in hte apprpriate situation, as determined by your neurolgist.

Good luck
Member Comments (14)
by Helen1967, May 14, 2006
Here comes the rest...
The weakness is one day better than the other day but it
by lddbusy, May 16, 2006
Hi I have had numbness tingling etc. in my hands and feet, weakness,aches in my joints,back etc. Years ago they said I had MS but I dont think so they came up with that from an MRI but did a spinal and it was normal (people with MS show positive with the spinal tap)anyway if you find out anything let me know Im tired of going to doctors Ive had ever test to think of I'll be praying for you
by Helen1967, May 16, 2006
Hi 6t5frlane,
I did have lyme test and it was negative but no western blot test. Can herpes be a reason for all these symptoms?!!
by Helen1967, May 16, 2006
Thanks IDDbusy, I'll tell you for sure..but did you try to exercise? try it but take it very easy and first ask your dr., it sometimes helps me to feel better.
But does your weakness comes and go? one day more than the other?
by Helen1967, May 19, 2006
I guess this site couldn't do any good neither.
by hrgrad, May 20, 2006
I saw this special on TV about this woman who had sclederma.  It took them forever to figure out what it was.  When I read your description, that was the first thing that came to my mind as the woman on the documentary had some of the same symptoms.  I hope you find what is causing your problems.  Good luck to you....

by zzzzzzzzzz, May 21, 2006
Hey Helen - in response to your comment above (I guess this site couldn't do any good either). What did you mean by that?. In a few days, you will have an answer from a neurologist - don't be so quick to judge - you have to keep believing you'll find an answer. And do you realise how lucky you are to even get your question posted? I have been trying for months - nearly every day - often more than once, at different times and still no luck! But I still keep trying because in all my research I've done into what the hells wrong with me, this is definately the best site I've found! I believe the Neuros here explain things far better than most and often come up with new possibilities for me on other people's questions. I feel for you in your situation - many of us on this site are in the same boat as you. I have had most of the same symptoms as you - plus visual and sensery symptoms - classic MS symptoms, but with a negative MRI. I am 37 yrs - problems started at 19 yrs. A long time, but I refuse to give up hope of an answer (and getting my question posted). Not much else to say except good luck and I wish you well - and perhaps its time to see another neurologist!