Neurology Community
My 1 year old twitches...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My 1 year old twitches...

I think there may be something wrong with my 1 year old son. He has random twitches involving his neck and shoulders and sometimes his spine. It's like the muscles are quickly contracting and releasing... it makes me think of (I know I'm butchering the spelling here) Terrets Syndrome. He'll be playing and suddenly his head will jerk to the side and his shoulder on the side his head falls to will come up to touch his ear. This will repeat several times, most that I have counted is ten, and then it will just stop and he'll go back to playing. Half the time it seems like my son isn't even noticing it. recently a new twitch showed up where it looks like he's shaking his head "no" and can't stop himself. His face scrunches up when this happens and he says "Ah, AHH". Then, after it stops, he whimpers. The spinal twiches usually happen when he is lying down, often while nursing. His back will repeatedly arch and relax over and over until he drifts off the sleep. He whimpers and makes a sound almost like a combination between whimpering and growling during this one. Another thing that worries me is that he hasn't started talking at all yet. We thought for a while there that he was saying "Mama", but he never said it to me and he hasn't said it in a few weeks now. He also doesn't respond to his name and sometimes there is nothing I can do that will get him to look at me. Like he's off in his own little world. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it normal?  This is my first child but I have a young niece and she never did anything like this. Please, any information would help. Thank you.

Graceria
These twitches are not normal and your son needs a complete neurological evaluation as soon as possible!  Plese take your son in to see a pediatrician and request a referral to a neurologist.  He needs testing now, as I am concerned him may have a degenerative disorder which could become much worse.

He is very young to have developed Tourettes Syndrome and the twitches are very severe.  Also, by one year old he should have some words and be very social and interactive.  It is important that you have noticed that he will not make eye contact.  I am a retired pediatrician.  Please take him  in to be evaluated as soon as possible.  Will you do this?  Quix
Thank you very much and of course I will. Ed has seen the pediatrician about this before and they just told us that babies twitch sometimes while their brains are still developing. Since it has been getting worse, I'm going to take him again. He just saw the pediatrician last week, and she said that she can't diagnose the problem unless she sees it. But he never does it while we're out. Only at home when he's playing or relaxing in some way. It confuses me. Aren't most disorders triggered by excitement or stress? Not relaxation? I have been researching it and I can't seem to find any disorders that match his symptoms. Most of them describe muscle weakness, but Ed is a STRONG kid! He does reps with gallon jugs of cranberry juice! One handed!

Oh, I forgot to mention that my husband has a neck twitch that he does, too. But it happens once in a very great while (once a month or so) and only when he's really tired or stressed. I thought maybe my son had the same.

And Ed actually is very social. He LOVES to be in crowds and have people lavish attention on him. He just has these... spells where I can't get him to look at me. My mom says he's just ignoring me, but I don't think so. I say his name,  slap the floor, whistle, poke him.... nothing. When he IS ignoring me and I look at his face, he grins and coos. When he has one of his spells and I look at his face he just stays focused on whatever he's playing with like I'm not even there. And he babbles, or at least he used to. Right now he mostly coos, grunts, cries and sighs. It's been a while since he last made any sounds that sounded like syllables. And he won't immitate any sounds I make. I'm going to call the pediatrition now. He's doing the head-shaking thing again.....
Got an appointment in the morning. Wish us luck.
Forget the pediatrition, see a neurologist. I don't know what this is...but my sister has a sezuire disorder, it sounds like it could be sezuires. There are different types petite and grand. I would insist on seeing a neurologist.
My nephew waited until 18 months before he started talking, and it was all in sentences.