Neurology Community
My Mother is detected with Brain Tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My Mother is detected with Brain Tumor

My Mother was recently detected with Brain Tumor, the doctors said she had to be operated and thy operated her on 12th of December, It is malignant. The following was the report from the HOspital:

FINAL DIAGNOSIS: RIGHT TEMPOROP ARIET AL GBM.
PRESENTATION: Presented with the complaints of sudden onset of left sided weakness on the
morning of 7thDecember'2007. Recent anosmia with head discomfort - 3 to 4 months. No
history of head trauma, vomiting or convulsion.
CLINICAL FINDINGS: Anemiao,Cyanosiso, Jaundiceo, Dehydration°
BP : 130/70mmHg; Pulse: 82/min; Conscious, oriented and co-operative.
Pupils- Bilaterallyequal in size andnormallylightreactive. Movingall4 limbswithleft sided
weakness. Plantar: Right Flexor; Left equivocal. No sensory deficit. Heart, lung and
abdomen' NAD
PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: Hypertension. Hypothyroidism. Cholecystectomy - 25 years
back. Bleedingduodenalulcer- neededsurgeryandbloodtransfusion( documentsnot
supplied)
'-' DRUG ALLERGY: No known drug allergy
INVESTIGATIONS: CT Brain: Right temporo- pariteal irregularly enhancing SOL
1I I OPERATION NOTE: On 12/12/07, under general anesthesia in supine position, face turned t
left side, part prepared and draped. Through curvilinear incision over right temporal region,
Craniotomy done. Dura opened. Brain bulging out. Cortical incision given. Tumor debulking
done. Highly vascular soft tumor ( ? Glioblastoma Multiforme) Squash cytology done. Brain
became lax. Hemostasis achieved. Wound closed in layers. Bone flap discarded.

She has been advised for Radio theraphy and Chemo theraphy, can someone help me knowing the fact that how long she can survive and what all problems can come in future. Is there any chance of surviving. I can also share the Biopsy Report of her.

Harminder Singh
Hi Harminder,
It is sad to know that your mother at this age has to go through all this.
The symptomatology of your mother suggested that she has some clinically aggressive kind of tumor.
In overwhelming majority of astrocytomas arising in adults are high grade.
These tumors are usually fatal, although prolonged survival occurs in a small minority of patients. Unlike systemic cancer, gliomas of brain cause fatal effect by local effects.
Glioblastoma multiforme is a kind of high grade Astrocytoma.
High grade astrocytomas are managed with glucorticoids, surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Was steroid therapy being given to your mother? How long is the doctor planning to continue steroid therapy? Has the radiation therapy and chemotherapy been started?
Post-operative radiation therapy prolongs survival and improves the quality of life of patients with high grade astrocytomas, although the duration of benefit is only a few months.
Treated with steroids alone the mean survival of patients under 65years of age with Glioblastoma is 7 to 9 months.
Survival is prolonged to 11 to 13 months with radiation therapy.
Hope this answers your question.
Can you post the biopsy report also?
Thanks for your reply. The Radiation theraphy will start this 31st Dec 2007 and after the radiation, the Chemo will start. I will post the Biopsy report too in a day's time
How is your mother feeling now?
What dose of radiation they are going to use for your mother? What does the doctor have to say about her prognosis and long term survival?
Keep me informed about her health in general and also if you have any queries in general.
Bye.
The Radiation started from 1st of January and the doctors have prescribed 35 doses of Radio and Chemo to her. She already had 12 of them and she is all right.