Neurology Community
My mom and grand-ma have Multiple Sclerosis. Is it now my turn?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been dealing with vague symptoms on and off the at least 6 years at least. Moved towns a lot thus did not have a steady doctor.

My mom and grand-ma both have multiple sclerosis, but I must say they are doing pretty well. I am not scared but just would like to know earlier than later if I have it too. I'm 32.

I am wondering if my recent onset of nerve symptoms in my legs, my occasional vagus nerve problems and my supposedly irritable bowel syndrome are all related and all in fact signs or symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis.

The symptoms in more details, from most recent.

My latest symptom is: nerve acting up in my left thigh (feels like hot water or ants running).
I feel it everyday while standing or at bed time. At the beginning it was only at night and not every night. Then a few nights I felt this nerve feeling at different places in legs, also felt waves of soreness in legs and numb toes one night. Now is only localized to left thigh and anytime I'M NOT SITTING (which confuses my the physical therapist I started seeing to fix that and chronic back low back pain).

Irritable bowel syndrome
Had episodes of all or individually: nausea few times a day for weeks, extreme burps, diarrhea or constipation, soar throat in morning, painful stomach. Had all tests. Mild gastritis, lower oesophagus sphycter hesitant. Was told GERD (do not beleive I have, took double dose of nexium for months and felt worst), and IBS.

Vagus nerve
In the past I had episodes of near syncope, palpitations when eating (that one really confused doctors), tachycardia while sitting quietly at work, cardiac stress test showed mild deconditionning (tell me about it was feeling weak). Had lot's tests done and was told it was just Vasovagal Reflex. Lately the only thing I feels sometimes is trouble swallowing or food stuck in throat for a few minutes.

My chronic back pain I have for as long as I can remember, teenager? Basically, I am very thin, was told I need more core muscles. My back starts to sore and get stiff after standing for a while and each morning. Sitting relieves.

Each time I think I am out of the woods, an other new symptoms appears. The nerve in my leg got me thinking.

Any experience, comment is appreciated. Any neurologist?

Thank you for reading.

Lapetite

Hi Lapetite!
Well, yes, if you have such a strong family history of MS then this should be seriously looked into in your case.
However, if you have IBS like symptoms then you could be suffering from Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis and this can cause vitamin B12 deficiency, arthritis, myositis and neuropathy.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
What the doctor said :),

Are you on any meds/painkillers for the back pain? Long term use of painkillers can upset the nervous system and cause weird sensations, digestive issues, etc. something to bear in mind.

Get the MS looked at first,