Neurology Community
My three year old is twitching during sleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Last night we allowed our three year old to get in the bed with us. After just a few short minutes into her seep, I noticed that she twitched about every three to five minutes. We watched for well over an hour and a half and she continued this pattern even after I fell off to sleep. Periodically we would wake her and ask her questions like "why are you shaking?" or "what are you thinking about?" and although her responses seem to be normal, I don't think
this twitching is. Can anyone shed some light into this situation for me?
Hello.

These could be the normal twitches experienced when one falls from a light sleep into a deeper stage. Throughout the night, the sleep cycle repeats itself. During each transition from light sleep to deep sleep, one can have these twitches.

You have no cause for concern. But you may consult a pediatrician and get an EEG to rule out any seizure activity in the brain.

Regards
I just sent you my info as a message, please check you inbox. My 3 1/2 year old daughter has been having the exact same issue for the pass 3 nights. Love to know if you've found anything out about your son. I hope he is doing well. Please let me know how is is doing and if you learned anything new. Thank you so much.
My 21 month old daughter just reciently started getting tremors while she sleeps. It starts before she is asleep just as she gets sleepy and you can feel her body relaxing. She starts to randomly twitch all over(legs, arms, sholder, ect.). Most are mild though constant but every once and a while there is a big one that will scare her and wakes her up. I don't know if they last all night, but I held her for a 2 hour nap and she did it the entire time. I am really worried there is something serious going on does anyone have any information or advise. I have a appointment on Monday for her with her ped. should certain testing be demanded? She seems perfect other than this. Please send me an update on your kidos.
my 15 month old does this in his sleep as well did you find anything out about this?
My daughter's been doing this for quite some time, her father does this as well, I don't know if its hereditary or if its just her. I really don't know. She is also very sensitive to sounds like fire works or sudden loud changes in tv or radio. I wish I had a sure answer.
We have had 2 EEG's and an MRI since this post. Brain waves show seizure activity when the twitching happens but it is NOT in an epileptic pattern so they say they are not true seizures. Thank goodness. My daughter is now 5 years old, she still does the tremors every time she is about to fall asleep and during sleep. She is an active healthy smart child other than that. The only other thing that stands out is she seems to be more fragile than our other children, smaller build and tires easily. She has broken 2 bones in situations that we feel should not have broken a bone and her ortho is watching her growth along with her neuro we started seeing when all of this came up. they seem to be interested mainly in mental growth and phisical growth than anything else, they measure her head to see if it has grown and check reflexes.  She is used to the twitching and it no longer bothers or wakes her. I hope this response will help some of your worries, I know how you feel and searched for answers myself. I was told by h neuro that there is some like 60 illnesses that can cause these symptoms. This is considered a symptom and not an illness. So I assume this means that there is an underlying cause, we just hope the cause is not serious.  Most can be ruled out by a simple blood draw. The rest require EEG or MRI, which are not good at ruling everything out for sure. Most dr.s are hesitant on testing on young children and seem to go to doing the least amount of testing and a wait and see approach when it comes to young children, which is hard for us parents who are left to worry. If you are concerned you can demand the tests done. I wish the very best for your children. Please let me know if you have more questions and I will do my best to answer.