Neurology Community
My wife recently had ACM Decompression surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My wife had the Decompression surgery in Alabama and within 4 days of her coming home she lost 5ml of CSF. The surgeon is planning to operate again to stop the leak of CSF.  My question is how much CSF can be lost before serious issues arise. I know that it can cause menigitis (meningitis) but 5ml seems like alot to me.

It was mentioned that she could die as a result and I am researching as we have a 2 year old son and I want to be prepared.

This discussion is related to Severe Upper Back Pain after Chiari Decompression Neurosurgery.
Hi there.

A CSF leak is really a serious problem as it can be a portal of infection and also cause the brain to herniate.  There is no absolute figure about the amount of CSF that should leak before you experience any symptoms.  The rate of CSF loss is more important.  CSF is continuously produced by the brain and as long as production is equal or a little more than what is lost, then symptoms might not occur. However, a sudden loss of CSF is detrimental and it can cause some parts of the brain to herniate.

I agree with doing another operation to correct this as the seriousness cannot be undermined.  Let's hope and pray that everything will be OK and uneventful.  Regards and God bless.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your advise, I have been stating this to my wife and the surgeon is hoping he can get this to stop otherwise surgery will be in the morning....Thank you again and God Bless
Kevin
How is your wife? Did they fix her csf leak? I was just diagnosed myself with a csf leak.  Been in and out of the hospital for 2 weeks and now I am waiting for surgery. Could you tell me what I am in store for? I am very scared myself, for I am only 34 yrs old and I have a 7 yr old. Hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks and god bless u
Avatar n tn
I am post-op thoracic disc surgery and have been leaking for 3 weeks-had 3 drainages.MRI shows fluid collection from T11-L1 and have bulge under wound since stitching.It gets drained but just fills up again.Am now getting bad headaches and friends tell me I am vague and come across a a bit forgetful.I do feel distracted and out of it-just a bit confused.Is this related  or am I just stressed?I am a single mom  and getting concerned now.am I at risk? Am due to see surgeon in a week to review leak. any advise anyone?
I have noticed that others with a CSF leak r considering surgery...I saw a dr show on TV that there is a new proceedure called a blood patch and this is used to repair these leaks without surgery.

I reccommend asking ur dr about this....24 yrs ago I had an epidural and had severe headaches also, the dr gave me 5 days in which if the head aches didn't go away they also said something about injected blood into the spine to correct the issue....looking back, I guess it was a leak as well....it did correct on it's own.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Avatar n tn
Thanks for advice...Ive heard of that  through someone else so will ask.....thanks for taking time to respond
mandy
U r welcome.
I also want to invite u and  ne one with chiari or chiari related conditions to med helps chiari forum. It's a great place for info and support!!

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"