Neurology Community
Myasthenia Gravis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Myasthenia Gravis?

Can anybody help me?

Over the last four years or so I have noticed many symptoms start to develop that I feel could possibly be caused by myasthenia gravis and want to see what you guys think before going to a doctor.

Some of the symptoms I have include: - Ptosis (often asymmetrical and alternating between both eyelids), weak neck (which can result in difficulty holding my head up after a period of time), muscles around the mouth feel weaker and after talking for a while I start to slur my words, weak voice that gets weaker with prolonged speech, my smile is different (it has become more of a snarl).

I should note that I have had terrible experiences with several GP’s in the past couple of years, which has made me reluctant to visit them for this (hence the reason I'm on this forum). For instance, I was recently diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) and after suggesting to my GP I thought I had this condition (after extensive research on the internet), he basically told me I was being stupid/hypochondriac and that I obviously just had anxiety. Three months later I was diagnosed with POTS. Because of this I have lost all faith in my GP, not necessarily because he missed the diagnosis but because instead of listening to me he took the easier option of stating it was "all in my head" to get rid of me quicker and I am therefore worried I will be treated like I'm crazy if I suggest I have Myasthenia Gravis.

Anyway, from the research I have done online, one of the tests used to indicate myasthenia gravis is to get a patient to keep looking up and the eyelids start to fatigue (and consequently droop). The following link contains pictures of me replicating this test: - http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/murraybutton/?albumview=slideshow

As you can see my eyelids start to fatigue as I continue to look up. Does this mean I am likely to have Myasthenia Gravis?

Also, for those in the UK do you know of anyway I could see a neurologist for this without having to visit my GP to arrange an appointment?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,
Craig