Myelomalacia indicative of surgery?
I recently had an MRI which showed moderate central canal stenosis at C5 C6 due to a broad base disc bulge.  Apparently it is also flattening my spinal cord in this area.  The MRI also showed an increased signal which is suggestive of chronic myelomalacia.  I've also noticed an elecrtic shock like feeling down my arms and left leg which I think is Lhermitte's Sign.  The other symptoms I have been having is some weakness in my hands.   I also have numbeness and tingling in my hands at night.  Also, my fingers seem to cramp up or spasm on me.

The myelomalacia thing and Lhermitte's Sign are kind of freaking me out.  I have an appointment in a couple weeks with a neurosurgeon, and am worried she will tell me surgery is my only option.

Does anybody else have any recent experience with these problems?
Have done some research on myelomalacia after getting results of husband's MRI. I know this refers to softening of spinal cord. However, this seems to refer to cancer? Why is this? Is this actual cancer? I am very confused. Have appt with neurosurgeon in few weeks. We are very scared about this referral to cancer. Please explain, thanks