Neurology Community
Myelomalacia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Myelomalacia

Can cervical myelomalacia develop within 2 months of a fall from a 2-step ladder?  How long does it take for that to show up per an MRI?
Thanks.
Hello Dear,
Myelomalacia is a term that refers to an area of softening of the spinal cord and usually more specifically to an area of the spinal cord that was injured, died, and has been reabsorbed by the body leaving a "hole" or cavity, or spinal fluid - filled space where the orginal healthy spinal cord tissue used to be. A contusion or bruise of the spinal cord from trauma is a very common way for this problem to happen. Generally speaking it is a static condition, but sometimes the empty space can enlarge and start compressing other nearby healed normal areas of the spinal cord, in which case new symptoms of additional numbeness, weakness, or trouble walking start to occur. On occasion also, a "canal" or tube of spinal fluid can form, extending from the original area of myelomalacia. This is known as a syrinx and can produce similar symptoms. Unless either of these two types of complications develop, ususally the area is left alone.You should consult a neurologist for this .It is difficult to say whether it is due to the fall or some other reason.Take care
Best
i was just diagnosed with  posttraumatic  central cord myelomalacia and told i have a syrinx  4.5 mm going from c-7 to T-2...where can i find information on this ?

ive already had several falls due to right leg weakness and i sometimes have loss of bladder control and numbness on my right cheek, and i have numbness in my hands and arms as well as a big spot on my upper back that sometimes turns into pins and needles ...needless to say im scared ...i dont have anyone to really sit down with to explain everything out as far as what it is and how to treat it or what could happen if its left alone ...please help ...