Myoclonic Seizures
I have a son who is 5 months old, had seizure 3rd day after he born. Then he was in ICU for a month. After that, he was advised to take phenobarbitone. But since seizure is not controlld, neurologist suggested to take Levipil along with that. It decreased to a level, but not completely controlled. So he advised us to take EEG and result was abnormal. He said, my son have too much electrical charge in brain which is affecting brain, so there will developmental delays. And he suggested us to give Valparin along with previous medication. After taking Valparin, he was good. Seizure free for 10 days.

But since we wanted second opinion, we went to a guy and he prescribed Lonazep and Nootropil over Valparin and Frisium. After my son started taking Lonazep and Nootropil, he is not doing like he did before. Now he started giving a small jerk like movement, by moving his right hand. So we took him to NIMHANS and they told it is rare condition and can be treated only with ACTH. But the next thing they said, i was dead inside. They said, even by taking this ACTH, i should not expect anything positive. Right now, he is taking Lonazep, Nootropil, Levipil and ACTH.

Does anybody have same issue and taken ACTH? Was it helped your kid? How about developmental growth?

Please help me with this....
bump for help
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your son.  ACTH therapy is given for seizures in infants (infantile seizures) not controlled by usual seizure control medications. Usually these infants suffer from epilepsy related syndromes such as Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Landau-Kleffner syndrome. Mild variants of such seizures may improve with ACTH. In severe cases there is not much hope. I am sorry, but please continue your follow up at NIMHANS. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
My son got IS because of meningitis he had when he was 1 month old. Although it was cured, now there is a big pile of worries in front of us. Will he ever be normal?

According to you, is there any big hospital other than NIMHANS which treat this? How will you rate Apollo Hospitals Chennai, for this?

I really need your advice on this.