Neurology Expert Forum
NERVE ROOT CLUMPING DORSAL TO L5 BY THE REFLECTING NERVE ROOT DISPLACE...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

NERVE ROOT CLUMPING DORSAL TO L5 BY THE REFLECTING NERVE ROOT DISPLACEMENT BY DISK PROTRUSIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE OR ARACHNOIDITIS.

I am a 45 year old male.  Had my tailbone removed when I was 16 or so, surgery for a herniated disk in my early 20's. About a year ago while I was bending over I got a sudden pain in my back.  By the end of the week I could not even stand straight or tie my shoe.  After some time off work and some therapy the pain decreased and I went back to work.  I have continued to have problems however and my pain has changed and continues to change and increase.

*Back pain seems to have spread up my spine.  It at times is like a fire ball traveling up my back.
*My arms go numb and hurt at night, even during the day at times. (diagnosed with carpal tunnel)
*Sever headaches over the last year, the last one lasted three weeks.  Seems to affect my vision, (Blurry) and when I have them light bothers me.
*Burning pain in the middle of my back and neck
*Muscle spasms and  twitching in my legs, twitching worse before and after sever pain
*At times I have had issues with urinating and pain after a bowel movement, burning pain in groin
*Random pains anywhere and everywhere at times.

Is nerve root clumping Archnoidits?  Or is the clumping caused by other problems with the back?  Is something else causing my pain? I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and have a referral to see a neurologist.  Who should I see for this at the Cleveland Clinic?  I have been told there is nothing that can be done surgically to fix my back issues.   diagnosis’s I have received as well as the some of my last MRI.

Degeneration of lumbar or lumboscral intervertebral disc (722.52) Displacement of lumbra interverterbal disc without Myelopathy (722.10) Spinal Stenoisis, lumbar region, without neurogenic Claudication (724.02) Thoracic or Lumbosacral Neritis or Radiculitis, Unspecified (724.4) Chronic Headaches(784.0) Cervical Gia

Portion of MRI Impressions.

IMPRESSION:
NERVE ROOT CLUMPING DORSAL TO L5 BY THE REFLECTING NERVE ROOT
DISPLACEMENT BY DISK PROTRUSIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE OR ARACHNOIDITIS.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Arachnoiditis is inflammation of one of the layers that surrounds the central nervous system. It can be the result of trauma, infection, and other irritants. In the lower part of the spine, inflammation can cause scarring which then causes the nerve roots to stick together. This effect can be quite painful.

Have a lumbar puncture to evaluate the arachnoiditis further?

You should follow up with a neurologist, preferably one who specializes in chronic pain.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.