Neurology Expert Forum
NORMAL EMG STUDIES

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

NORMAL EMG STUDIES

YOU PROBABLY REMEMBER ME, I HAVE HAD FASCICULATIONS FOR OVER 6 MONTHS NOW.ALMOST ALL ARE IN MY CALVES AND SOME AT RANDOME IN OTHER AREAS.
I HAVE HAD 3 NEURO DRS TELL ME IT IS BEGIN AND HAD 1 EMG STUDY AFTER 2 MONTHS OF TWITCHES .
THE EMG WAS PERFORMED BY THE HEAD OF CLINICAL NEUROLOGY AT THE NERVE AND MUSCLE CENTER OF TX. AT BAYLOR COLLEGE. BY A NEUROMUSCULAR DIESEASE SPECIALIST.
HERE ARE THE RESULTS.
10 AREAS 5 LOWER 5 UPPER BODY-
ALL NORMAL,INS ACT, FIBS, PSW, FASIC(SOME IN 2 AREAS), CRU, AMP,
DUR, POLY, RECRT.
ALL SHOW NORMAL AND ALSO NORMAL SENSORY STUDIES.
DATA INTERPRETATION WAS" NORMAL NEEDLE EMG EXAM OF ALL MUSCLES SAMPLED"
I STILL HAVE NO WEAKNESS AT ALL AFTER 6 MONTHS AND THE TWITCHES ARE GETTING LESS FREQUENT AND MUCH MORE MILD.I CAN STILL WORKOUT, WITH EVEN BETTER STRENGTH THEN BEFORE AND RUN 5 MILES W/OUT CRAMPS OR ANYTHING ELSE.
QUESTIONS:
1-HAVE YOU SEEN NORMAL EMG REPORTS AND NORMAL EXAMS WHEN A PATIENT IS HAVING FASCICULATIONS THAT WHERE REALLY ALS.THE MAYO CLINIC REPORT SAID NO BUT IT IS VERY OLD?
2-IS 6 MONTHS WITH NO WEAKNESS AND 3 DR. EXAMS ALONG WITH NORMAL EMG, ENOUGH SO I CAN GO ON WITH MY LIFE WITHOUT FEAR ?
3-IN MY LAST CLINICAL EXAM THE DR. SAID HE HAD NEVER SEEN A PATIENT WITHOUT WEAKNESS WHO HAD ALS, HE SAID ONE EMG WAS ENOUGH I DID NOT NEED TO REPEAT IT, HE SAID 6 MONTHS OF TWITCHING WOULD NOT GO BY WITHOUT SOME CHANGE IN THE  STREANGTH IF I HAD MUSCULAR PROBLEMS, DO YOU AGREE?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS AND COMPASSION, I NEED TO MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE IN THE WORST WAY.PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND.

1.no.
2.yes
3.for the most part, yes

After extensive neurological exams, testing, and reasurances from many of the top neurologists in the country, I think it's pretty safe to say that you're in the clear. Turn off your computer and go outside. Enjoy the day.
I HAVE TWITCHING THAT GOES ON THROUGH OUT MY BODY....CAN THIS BE FROM COMPRESSED NERVES DUE TO HERNIATED DISCS THAT I HAVE IN THE CERVICAL AND LUMBAR???
disc disease that's pushing on a nerve is well known to causing twitching.  I've posted here with concerns of the same and this is the answer I received from the doctor on this site.  See my posting to the doctor on Sept.11/02 under cervical cord compression/disc herniation. Hope this helps you leelou.
THANK YOU PUPPYBOY I HAVE A COPY OF WHAT MY MRI SAYS BUT I HAVE HAD NO LUCK GETTING IT POSTED HERE FOR ADVICE, I HAVE SEEN A NEURO-SUR. AND HE HAS REFFERED ME TO A NEURO FOR EMG. MY SYMPTOMS ARE MUCH LIKE YOURS.
.
i have been diagnosed as suffering from propriospinal myoclonus,which causes severe twitching full lenth of spine.no cause has been found,but may be due to neck trauma in rta.emg showed "normal"(yes really!!!).mri showed compressed discs in neck&thoracic region,but no pressure on spinel chord,but this is under review.twitching is 24/7,and varies with activity.various medications have been tried,without success,as has accupuncture.been told i may have to learn to live with it and addapt my life accordingly.