Neurology Expert Forum
NUMBNESS IN BACK AFTER LUMBAR PUNCTURE

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

NUMBNESS IN BACK AFTER LUMBAR PUNCTURE
MY HUSBAND HAD A LUMBAR PUNCTURE 12 DAYS AGO AND HE HAS NUMBNESS AND BACKACHE SINCE HE SAYS THE NUMBNESS ISLIKE A TIGHT BANDAGE AROUND HIS LOWER BACK AND STOMACH. IS THIS NORMAL. DURING THE LUMBAR PUNCTURE THE DOC MUST HAVE HIT SOMETHING BECAUSE HIS LEG SHOT UP.
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The spinal tap must have been in the lumbar region (lower back) since the leg experienced sensory changes. During the procedure itself, it is not uncommon to have a shooting pain down an extremity. This is secondary to the needle not being inserted directly midline and there is compression on the spinal nerves. This typically resolves with removal of the needle.  

Spinal taps are considered surgical procedures. They do have risks with the procedure. These most commonly include headache and local back pain. Rarer complications include infection and hematoma (i.e., bleeding). There are other complications but these are the ones most commonly discussed prior to the procedure.

The band wrapped around the belly would be unusual as a complication for a spinal tap. Why was the tap performed? Has your husband discussed his symptoms with his physician to ensure that it is not something else?

I would recommend that your husband contact his physician to discuss his symptoms.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.