Neurology Expert Forum
NUMBNESS ON LEFT SIDE OF BODY

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

NUMBNESS ON LEFT SIDE OF BODY

I am a 30 year old female.  About 3 months ago, I started feeling a numbness on the left side of the back of my head.  Over the months, it has spread to the front of my face, my arm, and even my leg. (Left side only) Even the left side of my tongue has felt numb briefly (just a couple of times).  I had a CT scan of the brain ordered by my family doctor about a month ago...normal.  I had an echocardiogram, stress test, EKGs....all normal.  For several years, the muscles in my neck and back (mainly upper) are really tight and sore.  They even cause headaches (not real severe).  The muscle soreness and tightness  seems to be worse on the left side.  I am sceduled to see a neurologist next week.  Just wanted some insight.  I have also been under an extreme amount of stress for the last two years, but I can't see that causing the numbness.  I realize I will probably have to have an MRI done and other things.  Thank you for you time in providing some information.

Lisa
Dear Lisa:

Sorry to hear about your numbness, but with the limited information it is very difficult to tell you about what might be the etiologies.  Providing that your in good health, no diabetes, arthritis, HIV, lyme disease, etc. it is problematic.  The negative CT scan would indicate that a hemorrhage, tumor in the supratentorial space, large AVM, etc are not the cause of our problem.  However, there are many subtle things missed on a CT and you are correct in thinking that a MRI might be required.  Medication can also cause parasthesias.  Post-infection processes as well as infection can cause numbness.  Problems with the cervical spine can cause one-sided numbness.  So, as you can tell there are many, many things to think about.  A good neurological exam, some preliminary tests, and a good neurological history will go a long way in beginning the process of narrowing down the possible diseases that can give you your symptoms.  Sorry, I am not much of a help.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I had surgery in jan of 99.   I had a herniated disc. Surgery was succesful. I am now have lower back pain again leg pain  and right foot numbness anysuggestions on what i should do?
Smoke Weed
A related discussion, leftside numb was started.
A related discussion, Left sided  body numbness was started.
my mother-in-law faces a similar problem. What specific MRI can cover the problems? She has been advised MRI of the Brain with diffusion.