Neurology Expert Forum
Naegleria fowleri

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Naegleria fowleri
Hello Dr.  My question is regarding Naegleria fowleri.  I live in Los Angeles, CA. And I suffer from post nasal drip.  I bought a NeilMed nasal rinse.  I washed it with tap water and shaked out the excess tap water.  I then filled it with reverse osmosis filtered water.  I then did the nasal rinse.  Two question does the reverse osmosis remove Naegleria fowleri. And can there be any chance that the tap water that was left in after washing post a risk of infection.  Thank you
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

N. fowleri is a free-living ameba that can cause a fulminant condition called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). It is typically found in man-made lakes/ponds, rivers, etc and gains access to the CNS via nares. Clinically, patients may present with headache, fever, stiffnes, nausea, vomiting, and CNS findings such as seizure, ataxia, confusion, etc. The condition is fatal in a majority of the cases. The diagnosis is made by CSF (spinal tap), neuroimaging, and clinical history/examination. Treatment is with amphotericin B.

Reverse osmosis is used for pathogens (depending on pathogen size), but some units require post-treatment with UV light. Regarding the reverse osmosis, you should contact your supplier. If you are having any symptoms of meningitis, you should be seen ASAP.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.