Neurology Community
Nasal Dysfunction and Sympathetic Nerve Activity

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have a theory - that damage to or chronic swelling of the nasal turbinates results in a reduced stimulation of the parasympathetic nerve receptors in the nasal mucosa, which can then lead to an imbalance in the autonomic nervous system resulting in symptoms similar to chronic fatigue syndrome, AHDH, generalised anxiety disorder and insomnia, as well as headaches and gastro-intestinal dysfunction. I beleive in the past this has been referred to as "Aprosexia Nasalis"

Anyone have evidence for or against this?

It is difficult to answer your query without knowing the complete medical history.
Stress is an important factor that determines the state of ANS. If you can cut down your day to day stress the sympathetic system will be less active because stress is the major factor activating our sympathetic nervous system.
Hope this helps!
Thanks Dr, specifically, my theory states that the causes in this case are non-psychological and occur irregardless of environmental stressors. Psychological stress is seen as a symptom, not a cause.