Neurology Community
Neck & Arm Pain after c5 c6 spinal fusion and disk replacement

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had c5 / c6 disk replacement in March 2012 - don't know what brand, plus I had the titanium plate screwed into my cervical spine as well, and have had 2 MRI's and three x-rays, and the pain is just TERRIBLE!  I can't get comfortable, it feels like my head is too heavy to hold up.  There is pain down my right arm into my hand, and my shoulders and neck are ALWAYS tense, tight, and in pain.  I'm in tears all the time.  I was referred by my neurosurgeon to a pain management doctor, and I've had 2 nerve blocks since the surgery, not helping much at all.  I don't know what else to do.  The pain doctor now wants me to get a Doppler screening to see about possible Thoracic Outlet Syndrome...that appointment is next week - does anyone have any advice?  I also find that I get very dizzy for no reason at all - not sure if this has anything to do with the pain I'm always in or not?  I'm very uncomfortable, very hurt, and pretty miserable all the time - it's affecting my way of life drastically.  I'm normally a very happy person, but pain is making me miserable.  I also don't react well to most medications (they make me feel sick to my stomach).  Please reply there are any suggestions that might help.  Thanks very much!
Tags: fusion, disk, C5 and C6, arm & hand pain
Hi there!

Well, it would be very difficult to comment specifically on the situation without a detailed clinical evaluation. Possible causes of your symptoms that may need to be considered include further degeneration, inflammation, compression of neuro-vascular structures etc. Thoracic outlet syndrome is also a possibility of the later. I would suggest considering a review with your treating neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
thanks for posting - I've been checked for Thorasic Outlet Syndrome, and will be undergoing a myelogram tomorrow.  I've had the nerves down both my arms checked as well (appear to be functioning normally) - still no explanation for dizziness and numb feeling down my arms from the base of my head.  It's a mystery.  I'm hopeful that the myelogram will be a fruitful test that unveils the ailment.
Sincerely, M. Platt