Neurology Community
Neck, shoulders, arm pain, and extremely stiff muscles

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thank you in advance for any replies and help.

For most of 2012 I have been plagued with this condition.  I have been to Orthopedists, Chiropractor, Accupunture, Physical therapy, and massage.  They all have helped to some degree but none of them clearly tell me what is going on and how to fix the root of the problem.

I'm a very active person and regularly exercise in many different ways.  I began experiencing pain through my shoulder (mostly right side) and I was told I had rotator tendinitis.  I went to PT and took some time off and it helped.  Back to working out and now the same pain has returned but also includes upper trapezius pinching and dullness.  I also experience pain in the forearms and if I outstretch my arms I feel the nerve from the base of my head to my fingertips.  But the part that bothers me the most is muscle tightness.  In general, I am tight everywhere.. but particularly after working out.  It is much more than normal tightness and soreness.  I wake up with my right shoulder hunched forward, pain in the neck, arms, shoulders.  I feel like I could get massaged all day and it would help a lot but I'd still have tension.  I've tried everything.. and am beginning to lose hope.  I just want to be back to normal so I can work out regularly and at high intensity.

I do use computers a lot and could improve my posture while doing so.  I feel the professionals have shed some light on the condition but really don't know what is going on or how to fix it.  I regularly stretch, use a massage ball and foam roller and do scapula and rotator cuff exercises to improve shoulder positioning.  

Can anyone tell me what's wrong and how I can fix it?  I'm 33 years old and in good shape but these past 6 months have been very difficult and I'm at a loss as to what to do.  I was thinking of seeing a neurologist but because I can't claim to have a specific 'condition', they are telling me I need to wait over a month for an appointment.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I am not an orthopedician myself, but from your description, your symptoms appear to be related to an entity called frozen shoulder. Here there is stiffness of the joint in response to an inflammatory process that develops near the scapula. This can cause radiating pain.  There is difficulty in reaching overhead and back wards. The therapy for this lies in doing stretching exercises. Keep up with these exercises and don’t over exert yourself and take it slowly. For pain relief you can take OTC acetaminophen and apply cold compresses frequently over the shoulder. Please check with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.