Neurology Community
Neck Injury with head numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neck Injury with head numbness

I was in a head-on car collision 8 weeks ago and fractured my C7 right facet.  Right after I woke from surgery, on the day of the accident, I felt numbness in the right/back quadrant of my head.  I've been wearing a MIAMIJ hard brace since the accident. I hadn't had any pain in my neck until 2 days ago, when suddenly I started feeling discomfort in the area of the fracture and a tingling pain shoot up to the numb area in my head.  I'm scheduled for x-rays in 10 days but I'm concerned about this change and am wondering if I should try to get it done sooner (if so I'll have to go to the ER to do it).  Is this a sure sign that I've somehow injured it further?  Or (and I know this is wishful thinking) is it possible that the fracture and nerves are healing and I'm getting feeling back to my head so I'm just "feeling" the pain that was there the whole time?  
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. You have fractured your C7 right facet and immobilization is essential till your back can be explored to fix the fracture. This is to avoid any new nerve injury or worsen an existing one. So please consult your emergency room immediately to rule out any neural compromise which might set in. Hope this helps.