Neurology Community
Neck Pain & Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neck Pain & Numbness

I had Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion June 25, 2010 at C5/C6 one level with plates and donor cadaver bone graft. Prior to surgery I had pins and needles on fire nerve pain from my neck down my right arm into my hand and my ring and pinky fingers were numb almost all the time. Since the surgery (hang in there post op I know how horrible that is) the pins and needles nerve pain in my arm is gone but my pinky and ring finger still go numb now and then. I also am experiencing a lot of pain at the base of my skull down the back of my neck. It's really stiff and feels like muscle spasm. I was taking Percocet and Nurontin then weaned off to Vicodin & Somas. Now try not to take anything for fear of addiction as well. I try to walk 30 minutes a few times a week. I haven't returned to work. I can't drive because it hurts too much to turn my head. My 3 month Dr. visit is at the end of the month. I'm hoping for PT. Any suggestions to help with the neck pain? I feel like I can't do anything!!! Oh I had the surgery after suffering for 2 years of misdiagnosis by my primary care physicians. My dog yanked me into a sharp corner and that was the impact that severely herniated my disc. Prior to surgery I tried physical therapy, traction, stretching, epidural injections into my spine of steriod, steroids, none of that worked. So here I am a little over 2 months post op and with a lot of neck pain and headaches. I would still take this over that horrible debilitating nerve pain.