Neck Surgery
I have read al the postings about neck surgery and I believe that my case is a very unique case. I read one posting that stated that their neck surgery was such a success that if they had to do it again they would. I would like to comment on that. I am 56 years old and had my first neck surgery c-5 & c-6 about five years ago. I had suffered a serious surfing accident when I was eighteen years old but my neck issues really hadn't bothered me until I was about forty two or so years old. I was an avid surfer for most of my life. Once my injury started bothering me I did go to the doctor and he recommended an mri. I had the mri done and was told by my doctor that I needed surgery. I was determined not to have surgery so I went for about another three years taking pain pills and ignoring to the best of my ability the pain I was feeling. Finally my doctor told me that he was not a pain management doctor and that I needed surgery and he wasn't going to prescribe any more pain pills for me. I went to have the surgery which included the titanium plate, screws and a piece of cadaver bone. I healed quite well from this surgery although it did take about eight months. After several years had gone by my neck started hurting again and I was experiencing numbness down my arm and into my fingers once again as well as divastating headaches. I went back to my doctor and had another mri only to be told that once you have the surgery that I had what usually happens after a few years is that the vertebra located either above or below the fusion wears out and now I need another surgery. I went and had a second surgery and fusion. Now that was approximately seven moths ago. I am now once again out of work on medical leave due to the fact that I am experiencing headaches, numbness and getting very little sleep at night and experiencing the exact same symptoms that I was experiencing before my second surgery.. I have now scheduled another mri. I am at wits end with this. I am not convinced that another surgery is the way to go although I haven't been told that I need another surgery as of yet. At my age I am thinking more along the lines of applying for my social security early and just dealing with the pain as I am surely not going to be able to continue working experiencing this pain and I am not convinced that another surgery or even PT is going to change my issue for the better. I believe two surgeries for the same issue is more than enough, now it is time for the doctor to admit that not all neck fusion patients recover to the point of being able to go back to just as a productive life as they had before the surgery. Any comments are welcome.

This discussion is related to Continued pain after anterior cervical fusion.