Neurology Community
Neck pain at base of skull with severe vertigo.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 41 year old female.  For the past month I have been experiencing daily episodes of vertigo...sometime so severe it puts me in bed all day.  Its worse when I tilt my head back to the right, and when I move in bed at night.  I have NO ear problems, but have been getting soreness at base of skull in spine area.  And alot of headaches at the back of head, sometimes it goes numb.  Is this associated?  I sometimes have vertigo so severe I am vomiting.  and sometimes cannot walk a straight line.  Its sometimes so hard to focus its like a movie filmstrip flashing in light....I dont have health insurance and cannot afford a Dr. visit...just want a little advice on what it could be.
Tags: vertigo
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Generally pain in the back portion of the head & vertigo originate from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of head pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar symptoms with ear problems and migraine. If you suffer continuous symptoms, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.
I'm sorry you're feeling so horrible.  Vertigo is terrible.   Find an ENT or a neurologist that does the Epley or canolith repositioning maneuver.  They will run at test for you and if you have Benign Vertigo, they can fix it.  However, there are other things and other types.  I will warn you, I just had the VNG test last night, and it's not fun.  But it will give you some answers.  

Don't wait.  go and seek treatment.  God Bless.
I would make an appointment with your family physician and request an MRI of your head and cervical spine.  Depending on the results your family physician could refer you to a neurologist or an ENT specialist.  Like CF44 said, DON'T WAIT.  All the best.

Keep us posted.
Health Clinics will take you for no or little cost based upon your income. I think it is from your neck and that has to be addressed immediately.